Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 14
|-+ kemical's entry [DATa.BOMr]

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read September 06, 2009, 09:22:42 PM #0
kemical

kemical's entry [DATa.BOMr]

it has been a while... I saw this session start last week, and now after having been at PAX listening to a few inspiring/motivating speakers, one being about developing games in a week as practice, I'm definitely going to attempt an entry...as I have about a week left   Smiley

title: DATa.BOMr - download v1
concept:
#GLOBALSTREAMINJECTION#1###.# #r#emotely pilot the craft assuring safe return of the instruments held 2. analyze the lethal energy emissions radiating from corruption of 7.viral?DATAMISSING?re. 2a. TRIGGER1 held disables powered maneuvering and engages energy soak. Do not to overload instrument [CLASSIFIED]e capacity as it will result in catastrophic failure of the craft, instrument requires attentive use to assure efficient operation. 2b. On release of TRIGGER1 energy soak disengages as instrument automatically injects, expels and redirect held energy towards the last sampled average of phantom source(s), neutralizing them. (Refer to DT.S_L 1.1.2b for further information on machine assist cooperation) 2c. WITHOUT TRIGGER1 HELD CRAFT REMAINS IN VULNERABLE STATE TO ALLOW FOR POWERED MANEUVERING AND DATA RESEARCH TRANSMISSION, CONTACT WITH ENERGY EMISSIONS IN THIS MODE WILL INTERFERE WITH REMOTE SYNC AND DATA TRANSMISSION 3. Use accumulating data output to assist in locating the 7.v?DATAMISSING?t.core, seek out and destroy it quickly!! EOT #STREAM_RELEASE. . . . . . . . . . . .

some fiction Wink

video of an updated version I'm working on:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Tmlr-NJMIw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8Tmlr-NJMIw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

old progress video:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-fEd-nIyMuE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-fEd-nIyMuE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:55:11 PM by kemical »
Read September 07, 2009, 06:41:41 AM #1
moosa

Re: kemical's entry

Gooo for it.
I haven't started mine either. Tongue
Read September 08, 2009, 02:48:45 PM #2
kdmiller3

This concept sounds promising, so I hope something comes of it.
Read September 09, 2009, 07:28:32 AM #3
kemical

got some stuff done, basic player movement is working with the gamepad or arrow keys, also added a basic enemy type that drifts around and sort of clusters into groups if there are multiples.  I'm leaning towards a kind of odd idea for the enemy bullets, where it is a dense spray that will evenly space itself out over time and hang around. ...also messed with my synth for some sound ideas.
Next up is to get the enemies shooting and see if I can figure something out for the bullet spray, also make the player cancel them as needed and fire back.
Read September 09, 2009, 07:37:22 AM #4
moosa

Synth. Hardware or software?
Read September 11, 2009, 03:34:59 AM #5
kemical

Synth. Hardware or software?

hardware, old yamaha tx81z FM synth, I might also use some sounds from my field recording type stuff depending on if I even get to that point.. Smiley  running into some troubles so I'm just making all the scripting/code simple and to the point, just for the purpose of getting this done and not coming at it from the tweak-able/editor angle.. which I was doing before with the last shooter project
Read September 11, 2009, 07:36:38 AM #6
kemical

staying up late as usual.. getting in a good groove, I was tuning the Player's craft movement with the canceling attack, when you hold Z it blasts the field around the craft (player) which will cancel bullets (soaking them in), but it drops all precise movement on the craft, just drifts to a stop based on the last direction and how fast it was going.. If you start mashing the direction keys the craft slightly tries to move in the direction you're mashing, but with a randomized cone of angles.. so you could still control the craft while soaking bullets as it drifts along but it isn't too precise, basically I'm trying to get the feeling of all power going into the canceling feature when the Player uses that... once you let go of the button you regain responsive control over the craft. 

Read September 12, 2009, 12:59:14 AM #7
moosa

That sounds interesting. Worth a try, right? I like little details like that; they can really add something, even if it's all in your head.
Read September 14, 2009, 10:16:05 AM #8
kemical

Re: kemical's entry [DATa.BOMr]

added a video clip in first post..

this prototype is getting a bit weird and hard to understand, there are these blobs of static (enemies) that grow from 8 larger enemies floating behind the level, the larger 8 enemies eat parts of the level in order to create the blobs of static enemies.... this also reveals the larger enemies to the player.
The small enemies try to circle the player and shoot bullets which the player can absorb and fire back, but if you absorb too much you will explode when hit. (you also can't move much when absorbing).  If the large enemies eat the entire level you lose...

I need to balance it a bit + there is more I'd like to try to do with the large enemies to make things clear to the player..
Read September 14, 2009, 01:41:42 PM #9
kdmiller3

Yay!  Someone else making a multidirectional shooter!  Grin

I'm not quite sure what's going on in the video, but I like what I see behind the compression artifacts.  I really want to try it.  Smiley
Read September 14, 2009, 07:04:39 PM #10
CaptainJustice

This is siiiiick
Read September 15, 2009, 12:53:04 AM #11
the2bears

This is looking very cool.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read September 15, 2009, 01:07:01 AM #12
moosa

*seizures*
Epic amounts of style.  Shocked
It looks to me like it will be quite difficult...
Definitely one of the more interesting concepts I've seen in these sessions.
Read September 15, 2009, 05:02:09 AM #13
kemical

thanks, glad it is causing seizures Grin  i'm trying to get it into a somewhat playable form tonight, I finally got the game restarting when you die, I hadn't really considered it when I started which is kind of funny...  I have a feeling I won't get all the sounds done in time, the video has other music playing in the background which matched the one sound I have in, but I'll add whats missing later
Read September 15, 2009, 07:21:19 PM #14
CaptainJustice

I want to play! :C
Read September 16, 2009, 02:37:08 AM #15
kemical

tweaking a couple things and i will post the current version, it is unbalanced, i really need some source control thing so i can go back to earlier revisions where it felt better Tongue
Read September 16, 2009, 02:53:39 AM #16
kdmiller3

TortoiseSVN for the win!  Grin

(Mercurial is supposed to be really good, but I haven't tried it.)
Read September 16, 2009, 02:59:08 AM #17
CaptainJustice

I'll have to see tomorrow after school. it's LATEE. You and your tortoisesvns.
Read September 16, 2009, 03:20:12 AM #18
kdmiller3

Grin

In any case, good luck.  Smiley
Read September 16, 2009, 03:26:41 AM #19
kemical

uploaded - download

let me know if it doesn't run, or runs really poorly.. it probably will have issues with intel video cards. No sound at the moment, or at least it stopped working for me.

There are 8 large enemies that you need to destroy before they "eat" the background, I don't think I have the game over in for when they eat the background....  but if you destroy them it should reset.

the scoring is a bit odd, you can play it two different ways it seems (partially by accident), currently you can cancel infinitely, but really you only grab a max of 100 bullets... so don't think you're getting more points by soaking in stuff forever, it caps at 100.  I need to fix the infinite cancel so that you die if it goes much over that.
pretend the percentage of background eaten factors into the score...

anyway.. the whole thing is odd, going to keep messing with it Smiley
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:28:22 AM by kemical »
Read September 16, 2009, 06:46:51 PM #20
CaptainJustice

" 'initializeProject' function could not be found."
Read September 16, 2009, 10:53:54 PM #21
kemical

hmm, could you try redownloading? that error message would come up if something was wrong with the common folder, it works for me but I need to make sure it isn't looking to files in a local spot on my pc...

here is an updated video.. the changes aren't in the current version uploaded.  I have some ideas I want to try, the background being eaten will recharge the Player's ability to cancel bullets, so you will have to race around and refill from the areas not eaten by enemies... might be fun, might not be !  I'd also like to make it a challenge to stay in the cancel mode, but it is starting to lean more towards needing an analog stick.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Tmlr-NJMIw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8Tmlr-NJMIw&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
Read September 17, 2009, 12:08:27 AM #22
CaptainJustice

Still no. :C

Code:
//-------------------------- 9/16/2009 -- 21:07:39 -----
Processor Init:
   Intel (unknown, Pentium Pro/II/III family), ~1.87 Ghz
     (timed at roughly 1.88 Ghz)
   FPU detected
   MMX detected
   SSE detected

Math Init:
   Installing Standard C extensions
   Installing Assembly extensions
   Installing FPU extensions
   Installing MMX extensions
   Installing SSE extensions

Input Init:
   DirectInput enabled.

Initializing chunk mappings...
   o 'TEXT' maps to TextChunk
   o 'SCHK' maps to UnknownChunk
   o 'SCHK' maps to SimChunk
Missing file: C:/Users/NAME/Desktop/New Folder   /DATa.BOMr/common/main.cs!
Missing file: C:/Users/NAME/Desktop/New Folder   /DATa.BOMr/game/main.cs!

Torque Game Builder (v1.7.4) initialized...
main.cs (53): Unable to find function _initializeProject
main.cs (0): Unable to find function initializeProject
Read September 17, 2009, 02:39:33 AM #23
moosa

The sounds coming out of my headphones as I watch that vid are turning me on. It's too bad that music isn't in the game... Still, loving those analog textures in the sound effects, and the visual style is awesome. Unnfortunately this doesn't run very well on my laptop. There's significant slowdown when the action heats up, and at that point I end up dying from not being able to see what's going on.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 02:48:38 AM by moosa »
Read September 17, 2009, 02:45:27 AM #24
Yumil

The game itself is interesting, but it's not to appealing cuz I cant get a handle on whats going on.

Ok, I absorb bullets, let go, things die. Thats all I can wrap myself around. Im the kind of guy who likes to know all that's going on, and this is seriously bothering me as I have a vague idea, but cant figure it out 100%.
Read September 17, 2009, 02:53:51 AM #25
moosa

After watching that new vid a second time, I've decided that if this game and KD's Rave Gun were merged into one, it would probably be something awesome. XD
Read September 17, 2009, 02:59:15 AM #26
kdmiller3

Hm... Grin
Read September 17, 2009, 09:03:32 PM #27
kemical

Still no. :C

Code:
Missing file: C:/Users/NAME/Desktop/New Folder   /DATa.BOMr/common/main.cs!
Missing file: C:/Users/NAME/Desktop/New Folder   /DATa.BOMr/game/main.cs!

try extracting it to a folder on C:/   I'm guessing that the spaces after New Folder are messing it up when it tries to load main.cs
Read September 17, 2009, 11:08:28 PM #28
CaptainJustice

I got it to work, somehow. Don't recall what I did.
Read September 18, 2009, 04:10:03 AM #29
kemical

The game itself is interesting, but it's not to appealing cuz I cant get a handle on whats going on.

Ok, I absorb bullets, let go, things die. Thats all I can wrap myself around. Im the kind of guy who likes to know all that's going on, and this is seriously bothering me as I have a vague idea, but cant figure it out 100%.

totally understand, the version I got done for the deadline is lacking some things and it doesn't quite have the challenging/addicting quality I'm working at, the bullet canceling and attack is there, and the large enemies (Which are mostly invisible in the uploaded version-they flash red when eating/destroying background) spawn the smaller enemies as they eat background pieces, but the Player's canceling attack is going to be changed so that you need to hover over the background to recharge, making it more frantic, and also a limit on the canceling (since it is infinitely enabled currently).  In the recent video the large enemies are more visible as they leave trails, and in both versions all enemies flash blue when hit. 
The level-clear idea is that if the background is completely cleared you would have lost, and the faster you can seek and kill the large enemies before the background is cleared would severely factor into your score (more background saved being better).

You also do much more damage if you soak more enemy bullets, but it is capped at 100... But for example if you soak 100 bullets, then release and it grabs 4 of the closest enemies within range, it will do 25 damage each.   If you rapidly cancel-attack with only 1 or 2 bullets soaked and it grabs 4 enemies you're doing much less  (though you could hook up an autofire..... I need to fix that).  It also multiplies their point value by the bullets soaked at the time of killing an enemy, something like that.. I need to make it so it is risky approaching the 100 bullet limit.

There are some other ideas I still want to experiment with as well related to an attack for the large enemies, and maybe turning canceling into a mini test your movement skill game, where the player can drift within the sphere, and the closer to the edge you are the more power each enemy shot is worth, but if you cross the edge you explode Cheesy

Of course I'd really like to make this all supported by visuals and audio too, so that I don;'t need to ramble about weird gameplay ideas Smiley

I also need to work on performance, I'd like ot try converting it to XNA, which would help get many things out of script..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 04:17:18 AM by kemical »
Read September 18, 2009, 05:23:38 AM #30
moosa

You certainly have some unique ideas. Keep it up. Smiley Your bullet-canceling attack reminds me of Bangai-O.
Read September 20, 2009, 01:27:58 PM #31
kdmiller3

I definitely want to see where this one goes in the future.   Cool
Read September 20, 2009, 02:04:42 PM #32
CaptainJustice

I don't have enough reaction time to play this game. They shoot some bullets, and I can't get the shield up in time.
Read September 25, 2009, 05:15:10 AM #33
moosa

This game's framerate is steady in the single digits on my desktop PC, around 4-5 fps. Why isn't this running in full screen?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.