Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Showcase
|-+ Vibrant [abstract arena shooter]

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read November 19, 2009, 09:53:00 PM #0
ponce

Vibrant [abstract arena shooter]

Games From Mars is proud to present Vibrant, an abstract arena shooter.

It features a particular gameplay based on inertia, powerups and techno music by deciBeats.

>>> HOMEPAGE <<<

KEYS:  (joypad work aswell)

move: arrows
     fire: CTRL, C
     turbo: SHIFT, X
     catch powerups: SPACE, Z

Read the help page for further information.
Hope you enjoy it, reviews most appreciated !
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:38:35 PM by ponce »

Read November 20, 2009, 12:30:32 PM #1
legion

Re: Vibrant [abstract arena shooter]

Looks interesting. sadly, it doesn't play on my laptop:
Compaq nc6400
Centrino Duo 2Ghz
Intel 945 integrated graphics
windows XP Professional SP3

It sets the mode then it cancels itself and it returns back to Windows.
no warnings.  Sad
Read November 20, 2009, 01:16:02 PM #2
ponce

Hi,

Make sure you have at least OpenGL 1.4 installed.

After the crash you'll find a log.txt file in the game directory, could you please send it to me ? (PM)

Most probably the SGIS_generate_mipmap (which is here for ATI and nVidia cards) is missing and i'll have to make a fix for Intel.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:24:16 PM by ponce »

Read November 20, 2009, 02:40:45 PM #3
legion

log.txt:
Command-line :
C:\Documents and Settings\Jesse\Desktop\vibrant\adinpsz - vibrant\vibrant.exe
### create app
>sdl.State.this()
<sdl.State.this()

I have the latest graphics driver for my laptop. Can't tell what OpenGL is installed though.
Read November 20, 2009, 06:35:16 PM #4
ponce

log.txt:
Command-line :
C:\Documents and Settings\Jesse\Desktop\vibrant\adinpsz - vibrant\vibrant.exe
### create app
>sdl.State.this()
<sdl.State.this()

I have the latest graphics driver for my laptop. Can't tell what OpenGL is installed though.

Thanks.

Could you check with GLinfo2 if you've the SGIS_generate_mipmap extension ?
It should also display your OpenGL version.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/541786/GLinfo2.exe
Read November 20, 2009, 09:34:39 PM #5
N

Had a problem getting the built-in windows zip manager to handle the file.  7zip opened it, but it's something you probably want to look into.

Gameplay was entertaining, but I do have a number of (hopefully constructive) criticisms.

1) The background felt a little TOO bland.  Another layer or two of parallaxing stars, grids, glowing neon circuitry, or whatever would have added some visual appeal and helped further sell whatever theme (Tron, Matrix, space combat?) you were going for.
2) The powerups were difficult to tell apart and difficult to grab.  I don't know what a lot of them did (cell?), and some of them seemed / were actively bad (size+, trap).  Weapon+ and life were the only ones I ever actually wanted.
3) Tooltip on death says "You can give away traps."  How?
4) It would be nice if enemies pinned themselves to the edges of the radar.  A few times on levels 1-3 the last enemy escaped and I had a difficult time tracking it down because I wasn't watching what direction it fled.
5) The "pts / max" thing was pretty incomprehensible.  It seemed to be related to the max number of upgrades you could grab for a given level?  No feedback on how much of that you're using or when you've hit the limit until you're unable to grab new items. 
6) The powerups also felt a bit underwhelming - was it part of your design that it should take a long time to make your ship into a juggernaut?  I think I'd prefer if most of the stuff were temporary but impressive items like burst and bullet time - temporarily supercharged battery regeneration or a much much improved gun for 10-15 seconds would be more fun (IMO) than small incremental upgrades.
7) AI were annoyingly good at snagging grabbed items I was dragging behind me except when they were traps.
Cool Player bullet velocity = player velocity + base velocity made aiming tricky.  Ok, so for me it was impossible except when I lined up behind a fleeing ship and unloaded on them.
9) Only used turbo, like, once.  I suppose it might be good for dodging bullets, but most of the time I ended up flayed by head-on barrages.
10) You can die really quickly against upgraded opponents even with double-overcharged life.

Please don't take these comments as saying I hated your game.  I liked it and I played it for at least half an hour before I ended up dying repeatedly around level 17.  It could just use a bit more polish.
Read November 21, 2009, 12:37:39 AM #6
legion

it looks like it all applies.

are you setting up some type of theoritically standard mode, I have a wide screen(1280x800) laptop that might not support sub-standard graphics modes.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:51:46 AM by legion »
Read November 21, 2009, 01:29:43 PM #7
ponce

are you setting up some type of theoritically standard mode, I have a wide screen(1280x800) laptop that might not support sub-standard graphics modes.

The game should then setup 1280x800 resolution. I really don't understand the problem, could I PM you a debug version if you mind testing ?
Read November 21, 2009, 02:13:09 PM #8
ponce

Had a problem getting the built-in windows zip manager to handle the file.  7zip opened it, but it's something you probably want to look into.

I used the "maximum compression" scheme in WinRAR, it's maybe that.

Quote from: N
Gameplay was entertaining, but I do have a number of (hopefully constructive) criticisms.

1) The background felt a little TOO bland.  Another layer or two of parallaxing stars, grids, glowing neon circuitry, or whatever would have added some visual appeal and helped further sell whatever theme (Tron, Matrix, space combat?) you were going for.

True. I played a lot of other arena shooters recently and I must admit I have one of the less appealing visually. In the other hand, too much impressive sounds and too much particles in some arena shooters annoys me after 10 min.

2) The powerups were difficult to tell apart and difficult to grab.  I don't know what a lot of them did (cell?), and some of them seemed / were actively bad (size+, trap).  Weapon+ and life were the only ones I ever actually wanted.

I think I'll remove speed+ and cell (cell increase energy by 1, it's boring)
size+ is not bad since it makes you less vulnerable to missiles. It also makes you slower so it's not that desirable.

3) Tooltip on death says "You can give away traps."  How?

You must fly near ennemies hoping that they'd catch your trap. To catch someone else powerup, one must be nearer than the owning ship from to the powerup.
Note that ships can grab a powerup directly by touching them. So you can touch an ennemy with your trap to kill him without shooting.
OK, it's not well explained like many other things in the game.

4) It would be nice if enemies pinned themselves to the edges of the radar.  A few times on levels 1-3 the last enemy escaped and I had a difficult time tracking it down because I wasn't watching what direction it fled.
Agreed, it also annoys me Smiley.

5) The "pts / max" thing was pretty incomprehensible.  It seemed to be related to the max number of upgrades you could grab for a given level?  No feedback on how much of that you're using or when you've hit the limit until you're unable to grab new items. 
It's just a score / best score counter, I could remove that if it's confusing.

6) The powerups also felt a bit underwhelming - was it part of your design that it should take a long time to make your ship into a juggernaut?  I think I'd prefer if most of the stuff were temporary but impressive items like burst and bullet time - temporarily supercharged battery regeneration or a much much improved gun for 10-15 seconds would be more fun (IMO) than small incremental upgrades.
You're true. I realized that only yesterday. I'm thinking about gravity bombs...

7) AI were annoyingly good at snagging grabbed items I was dragging behind me except when they were traps.
You were unlucky or too far from them. Make sure the opponent is nearer to the powerup than you.

Cool Player bullet velocity = player velocity + base velocity made aiming tricky.  Ok, so for me it was impossible except when I lined up behind a fleeing ship and unloaded on them.

I can't really remove that. The gameplay is really based on inertia (you "catch" powerups, bullets are a guided...) and i think that's the interesting.
If the bullets were more like velocity = k * player velocity + base velocity with 0 <= k < 1 it wouldn't allow to shoot forward when going forward, unless by increasing base velocity too much for my taste.
The only thing i can change is the base velocity, that i already increased because this problem annoys people.
Maybe with a less dull background pleople would have less problem with inertia.

There is also the secret ALT button which allow to strafe.

Actually i like that killing an ennemy is not that straightforward, and bullets are slow (and cost energy).

9) Only used turbo, like, once.  I suppose it might be good for dodging bullets, but most of the time I ended up flayed by head-on barrages.
I find the turbo actually useful.

10) You can die really quickly against upgraded opponents even with double-overcharged life.
Yep. You have to take some size+ to be more solid.

It's important to me that the very same sets of rules apply to opponents and you. Only exceptions in the current game are:
- opponents' bullets are less guided than the player's ones
- opponents cannot trigger a bullet time
- the player's bullet are faster

Please don't take these comments as saying I hated your game.  I liked it and I played it for at least half an hour before I ended up dying repeatedly around level 17.  It could just use a bit more polish.
Don't be sorry at all.

It is incredibly useful to have such a feedback. I agree with most things you said and it made me realize how the game could appear. Thanks a lot.

I need to stress why the game is what it is. It's a quite direct port of an older DOS game i made when i was younger. I ported it to revive it, few things in gameplay are different now, but i'm so used to this gameplay i can't see the flaws.

I think it will mostly remain unpolished and eventually i'll make another arena shooter, because the current code is pure crap and would need a lot of refactoring to allow changes.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:37:09 PM by ponce »

Read November 21, 2009, 03:43:15 PM #9
kdmiller3

I don't have much new to add, since most of my issues have been covered already.

Something that might provide more variety would be permanent upgrades for health and energy to go along with permanent weapon, engine, and size upgrades:
  • Health+: increase health gauge length by a small amount
  • Regenerate+: increase health regeneration rate
  • Energy+: increase energy gauge length by a small amount
  • Generator+: increase energy regeneration rate

To make Health+ and Energy+ more meaningful, you could have health and energy "overage" decay over time.  (Use it or lose it!)

Alternatively, you could merge Health+ into Life, with overage permanently increasing the gauge length at a ratio of (say) 10:1.  The same would hold or Energy+ and Cell.  The downside is that you'd lose the handy "overcharge" effect.
Read November 22, 2009, 03:24:57 AM #10
legion

The game should then setup 1280x800 resolution. I really don't understand the problem, could I PM you a debug version if you mind testing ?

Ok. I'll test it if you want.
Read November 22, 2009, 12:21:06 PM #11
ponce

I don't have much new to add, since most of my issues have been covered already.

Something that might provide more variety would be permanent upgrades for health and energy to go along with permanent weapon, engine, and size upgrades:
  • Health+: increase health gauge length by a small amount
  • Regenerate+: increase health regeneration rate
  • Energy+: increase energy gauge length by a small amount
  • Generator+: increase energy regeneration rate

To make Health+ and Energy+ more meaningful, you could have health and energy "overage" decay over time.  (Use it or lose it!)

Alternatively, you could merge Health+ into Life, with overage permanently increasing the gauge length at a ratio of (say) 10:1.  The same would hold or Energy+ and Cell.  The downside is that you'd lose the handy "overcharge" effect.

I like the idea of Health+ and Energy+, with this small permanent increase... but i don't like the idea of Generator+ and Regenerate+ much. There is already a energy+ powerup which is like (your Generator+ + overcharging) but its effect on the rate is difficult to notice (like speed+).

The time taken to have a full enhanced ship is there to counterbalance the fact you don't loose in that game, there is no game over. Still you don't want to die because of all these upgrades, even if they are not very meaningful. But it has the bad effect on the gameplay that one must take into account more different energy regain rate, more different speeds... i'd prefer have the "right" speed and the right regain rate for everything.

In fact i'd rather add more weapons rather than more complexity on the upgrade side.

The extending bar thing is nice, but it would require to remove the 2x overcharge thing imho, to not be overcomplicated.
Read November 23, 2009, 07:10:36 AM #12
LorenzoGatti

Hi,

Make sure you have at least OpenGL 1.4 installed.
laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

What part of "Intel 945" didn't you understand?
Read November 23, 2009, 08:57:04 AM #13
ponce

What. You didn't read my post (or i don't see what you mean).

I don't live in a magical world where people all have up-to-date & bug-free drivers.

(EDIT: were you joking about Intel OpenGL drivers ?  Tongue )
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:53:19 AM by ponce »

Read November 24, 2009, 07:27:36 AM #14
LorenzoGatti

What. You didn't read my post (or i don't see what you mean).

I don't live in a magical world where people all have up-to-date & bug-free drivers.

(EDIT: were you joking about Intel OpenGL drivers ?  Tongue )
Assuming people can update drivers is acceptable; Intel OpenGL implementations aren't.
You can be excused for optimistically requiring some features of OpenGL 1.4 in late 2009 when the current standard version is 3.2; all the sarcasm was of course for Intel, not for you.
As a non-proud user of a laptop with a 965GM graphics appendix, I found myself in legion's situation several times and I don't think there is much hope.

Practically speaking, even if one manages to update drivers (drivers for laptops are usually vendor-locked and have old and customized versions), in my experience Intel drivers have a habit of lying about OpenGL features and versions.
On newer laptops, using Mesa instead of the Intel hardware drivers might be fast enough; it fixed display glitches in Wings3D for me.
Read November 24, 2009, 07:44:10 AM #15
ponce

That's exactly what happens with legion's laptop: auto-mipmaps are advertised to work but mysteriously fail with a simple case... lies. I gave up.

I think having such a card can be actually great for making compatible games  Grin, nVidia cards are not so useful in that regard.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:02:23 PM by ponce »

Read November 25, 2009, 03:43:34 PM #16
Hacked

hi, i have a wonderfully integrated intel card that comes with the dell inspiron 1545
and this game draw polygons on my screen at a glorious .6 fps
up to date drivers
the graphics card doesnt even have its own name in dxdiag. its express chipset 4
Read November 25, 2009, 07:20:24 PM #17
ponce

Hum...   Undecided You guys should boycott Intel s***

Probably my fault, i should make less draw calls.

Wait for the highly unscheduled next releases  Wink
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 07:25:04 PM by ponce »

Read December 03, 2009, 06:48:25 AM #18
ponce

Vibrant is now open source: http://bitbucket.org/ponce/vibrant/

The code is crap so I have to clean it before adding features.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:52:13 AM by ponce »

Read August 04, 2010, 05:15:37 PM #19
ponce

Hi !

Vibrant has been updated and should support ATI and Intel cards correctly by now.

Read August 06, 2010, 12:06:37 AM #20
legion

I am sorry to disappoint you but Still no luck. Now it doesn't even get to display anything. I click on it then it borks. I was really hoping to finally be able to try it out. Sad
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:11:57 AM by legion »
Read August 06, 2010, 10:10:26 AM #21
ponce

Cry

Care to post the log.htm file (in the application directory)? That would be a big help.
Read August 08, 2010, 03:20:45 AM #22
legion

here you go:
[INFO] Command-line :
[INFO] C:\Program Files\Vibrant\vibrant.exe
[INFO] → VibrantProgram.this
[INFO] → SDLApp.this
[INFO] → sdl.state.SDL.this()
[INFO] ← sdl.state.SDL.this()
[INFO] → Creating the window
[INFO] ← Creating the window
[INFO] → GLState.this
[INFO] → DerelictGL.load()
[INFO] ← DerelictGL.load()
[INFO] → DerelictGL.loadVersions()
[INFO] ← DerelictGL.loadVersions()
[INFO] → DerelictGL.loadExtensions()
[WTF] GL function glTexSubImage3DEXT NOT found
[INFO] ♦ 23 OpenGL extensions loaded.
[INFO] ← DerelictGL.loadExtensions()
[INFO] → DerelictGLU.load()
[INFO] ← DerelictGLU.load()
[INFO] → TextureUnits.this()
[INFO] ← TextureUnits.this()
[INFO] ← GLState.this
[INFO] ← SDLApp.this
[WTF] Failed to load proc glPointParameteri from shared library opengl32.dll
[WTF] Fallback to ugly mode, upgrade your gfx card!
[INFO] → OpenGL settings
[INFO] ← OpenGL settings
[INFO] → new Game
[INFO] → create m_fbTex
[INFO] → Texture2D.this(15, false, false)
[INFO] ← Texture2D.this(15, false, false)
[INFO] ← create m_fbTex
[INFO] → create m_uiImage
[INFO] ← create m_uiImage
[INFO] → create m_soundManager
[CRAP] Music.this()
[CRAP] Music.~this()
[INFO] ← create m_soundManager
[INFO] ← new Game
[INFO] ← VibrantProgram.this
[INFO] → app.run
[INFO] → SDLApp.run()
[INFO] ♦ entering loop
[INFO] → VibrantProgram.~this
[INFO] ← VibrantProgram.~this
[INFO] → SDLApp.~this
[INFO] ← SDLApp.~this
Read August 09, 2010, 07:57:26 AM #23
LorenzoGatti

Unplayably slow, although not crashing, on my Intel 965GM laptop.
Read August 09, 2010, 08:14:16 AM #24
ponce

@legion: seems like an Intel driver bug , this should be easy to work around. Wait for an upcoming update  Tongue

@LorenzoGatti: yes, it's not terribly fast atm, sorry.
Read September 04, 2010, 10:34:26 PM #25
ponce

Hi!

Vibrant has been updated to version 1.5
http://www.gamesfrommars.fr/vibrant

I finally found an Intel graphics. Now the game requires OpenGL 1.3 and should work with you legion. It will be dead slow though.
Read September 13, 2010, 12:39:59 PM #26
ponce

Vibrant was featured on Pixel Prospector, with a gameplay video.

http://www.pixelprospector.com/2010/09/vibrant

Read September 16, 2010, 02:51:50 AM #27
CaptainJustice

Oooh, this is fun.

It's just really hard to hit anything, because you have to be moving towards them. I'd suggest bullet speed being a bit independent of your inertia. Dunno.

The zipping about was fun, though.
Read September 18, 2010, 02:46:35 PM #28
ponce

It's just really hard to hit anything, because you have to be moving towards them. I'd suggest bullet speed being a bit independent of your inertia. Dunno.

Yeah, this is the main complaint but it's not easily fixable. In short, if it's easier to shoot ennemies it will be easier for ennemies to shoot you.
Read September 29, 2010, 08:56:23 PM #29
legion

How Ironic now laptop crashed and it's unrepairable - something wrong with the motherboard. anyway  I finally got Windows installed on my desktop along with Ubuntu(only Ubuntu originally) and was able to try the game. Nice game. I really like it but I seem to agree with the last comment about the bullets. come on, you did all this work and you are going to tell me you can't figure out how to make the player bullets be the only ones to work differently? Wink
Read October 14, 2010, 03:25:02 PM #30
ponce

At least you run it! Did you know you were in the credits?
http://www.gamesfrommars.fr/vibrant/help.htm

You're right, it would be obviously easy to make a separate rule for the player's bullet. It creates minor collision problems but this is fixable.

The bottom line is that I don't feel like there is a problem myself. Advanced players usually complain about the "trap" powerup (too hard to see, useless, too hard to get through...) much more than they do about the aiming difficulty.

It feels natural to me and I can't in full honesty fine-tune such a change since it wouldn't feel right to me. I like the idea of a few, slow bullets that you must learn to aim. Rather than a lot of bullets everywhere and full focus on avoiding like a lot of arena shooters.

Likewise it shouldn't be straightforward to kill an ennemy since I want the player to feel like the weakest ship on the map.

If you want to try your idea, you can even make your own version youself. The game is open-source and even public domain. It's really easy to compile and you can put your name on it.

The line to modify is here: http://bitbucket.org/ponce/vibrant/src/tip/trunk/vibrant/players.d#cl-540
Just saw the player is already favoured even though I pretended the opposite.  Grin
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:26:56 PM by ponce »

Read December 15, 2010, 11:27:48 PM #31
MrHoppy

THis is cool. I like the aesthetic - it's like space helicopters, and the music is awesome. Gameplay is solid, but I found it difficult to hit stuff, and hard to chase enemies without using the radar.

I do think it's a very good thing to have bullet velocity include the player's velocity, but am another person who finds them to move a bit slow, but I guess it's something you get used to with practice. I do think it would be cool to tilt the camera a little so that you can see further into the distance.

If you made the aiming a little easier, and the bullet recharge a little faster, you could have more enemies, but then maybe that's not the game you want to make.
Read December 15, 2011, 05:36:39 PM #32
ponce

Vibrant has been updated to version 1.6
http://www.gamesfrommars.fr/vibrant

@MrHoppy: I found out that speeding up the relative speed of bullet had been unfortunate for the gameplay. So this release makes it harder to hit stuff Smiley
Read July 14, 2012, 10:20:04 AM #33
XYX

are you still updating this? i have your latest 1.6 version, trying to run it on an nvidia gpu laptop with win 7 64, it crashes with the following log though:
Code:
[INFO] Command-line :
[INFO] D:\Games\Shmups\Vibrant\vibrant.exe
[INFO] → VibrantProgram.this
[INFO] → sdl.state.SDL.this()
[INFO] ← sdl.state.SDL.this()
[INFO] → GLState.this
[INFO] → DerelictGL.load()
[INFO] ← DerelictGL.load()
[INFO] → DerelictGL.loadVersions()
[INFO] ← DerelictGL.loadVersions()
[INFO] → DerelictGL.loadExtensions()
[INFO] ♦ 84 OpenGL extensions loaded.
[INFO] ← DerelictGL.loadExtensions()
[INFO] → DerelictGLU.load()
[INFO] ← DerelictGLU.load()
[INFO] → TextureUnits.this()
[INFO] ← TextureUnits.this()
[INFO] ← GLState.this
[INFO] → OpenGL settings
[INFO] ← OpenGL settings
[INFO] → new Game
[INFO] → create m_fbTex
[INFO] ← create m_fbTex
[INFO] → create main texture
[INFO] ← create main texture
[INFO] → create m_mainFBO
[INFO] ← create m_mainFBO
[INFO] → create default FBO
[INFO] ← create default FBO
[INFO] → create postProcessing
[INFO] → compiling shader data/final.vs + data/final.fs
[INFO] ← compiling shader data/final.vs + data/final.fs
[INFO] ← create postProcessing
[INFO] → m_blit
[INFO] → compiling shader data/blit.vs + data/blit.fs
[INFO] ← compiling shader data/blit.vs + data/blit.fs
[INFO] ← m_blit
[INFO] → create m_uiImage
[INFO] ← create m_uiImage
[INFO] → create m_soundManager
[INFO] ← create m_soundManager
[INFO] ← new Game
[INFO] ← VibrantProgram.this

shame, i couldnt wait to play this when i saw it Sad

"human is the music, natural is the static..." -john updike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 18 queries.