Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Session 16
|-+ Jakman4242's entry: Knighto Valiante (-Towl Thrown In-)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read November 24, 2009, 10:59:48 PM #0
jakman4242

Jakman4242's entry: Knighto Valiante (-Towl Thrown In-)

I'm entering.
I'm using Game Maker.(for the sole reason that any and every collision engine I use doesn't agree with me right now.)

The game idea I have at the moment is you're a little Knight fighting off invaders, yes, actual top-down PEOPLE. It's a scary concept for a shmup, I know, but I'm taking a risk. Anywho, you have a sword and a shield to fight off invaders. You can pick up invaders' weapons as well as use the environment as extra armament.(if I feel like it, and get everything else done first.)

Game, as it is, is going to be called Knighto Valiante. Why? I don't know, but it sounds catchy and it has rhythm.

Good day, sir!  Cool
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:54:41 AM by jakman4242 »

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
Or read my new blog!~ (which I do update)
My blog.
Read November 25, 2009, 12:50:35 AM #1
moosa

Re: Jakman4242's entry: Knighto Valiante

I like the veer from convention! Smiley

One thing to look out for: try to make sure it still can claim relation to a shmup.
Read November 25, 2009, 03:35:40 AM #2
jakman4242

Yeah, it's definitely a concern.

But I figure if the game still autoscrolls, and things still shoot stuff(arrows), then there'll hardly be an issue.

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
My blog.
Read November 25, 2009, 08:27:51 AM #3
Yumil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srgwgbbNW2Q

While the character in that game doesnt really have anything non projectile, it is similar to what you are talking about. I've wanted to make something like that:)
Read November 25, 2009, 09:22:05 PM #4
jakman4242

Everyone. I think I've gotten too used to writing in other languages besides GML now.

I opened up my beginning of the game creation code, etc. and wrote this:
Code:
#include <vector>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

Game::Player thePlayer;

Then I realized, I wasn't in Code::Blocks anymore.  Roll Eyes

My blog.
Read November 25, 2009, 09:34:47 PM #5
CaptainJustice

Even WORSE, Player wasn't declared! Nor was Game!
Read November 26, 2009, 05:08:06 AM #6
moosa

It must be kinda hard to go back to that. I haven't used another language in a long time, so it's not so much an issue for me. Tongue
Fortunately, GML is quite easy to re-learn. Unless, I suppose, you're so hardened into habitual coding methods that you can't keep yourself from unconsciously pounding out blocks like that... I guess I never got to that point.
Read November 26, 2009, 07:18:45 AM #7
jakman4242

It must be kinda hard to go back to that. I haven't used another language in a long time, so it's not so much an issue for me. Tongue
Fortunately, GML is quite easy to re-learn. Unless, I suppose, you're so hardened into habitual coding methods that you can't keep yourself from unconsciously pounding out blocks like that... I guess I never got to that point.

Hahaha Grin

I'm noticing as I go back to GM, my code is probably 500% more efficient and bug-free.
It's wonderful how all that 'real' programming language work translates back to GM and GML.

My blog.
Read December 05, 2009, 03:54:24 AM #8
jakman4242

I'm going with Null that I'm withdrawing.

I decided to learn AS3 and Flash, because cross-platform easy-access games interest me.

I honestly never made it past the art for this entry, anyway. Wink

My blog.
Read December 05, 2009, 09:27:24 AM #9
Yumil

Re: Jakman4242's entry: Knighto Valiante (-Towl Thrown In-)

Still have over a week...
Read December 05, 2009, 10:27:40 PM #10
jakman4242

Re: Jakman4242's entry: Knighto Valiante (-Towl Thrown In-)

Yes indeed,
but again, I've decided to rummage through Flash for development now, and I don't think I'm quite up to par to make a game with it yet, nor am I motivated to make another prototype game in C++.

So, the possibility is still there, I might still have something for this session.
But consider me as sitting in the shadowy corner with my flag up, for now. Grin

My blog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 18 queries.