Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Session 16
|-+ Odessi's entry: <untitled>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read November 25, 2009, 03:23:50 PM #0
Odessi

Odessi's entry: <untitled>

Right, I'm going to try and turn a shmup into pinball.  I hope this hasn't been done before, at least not in any of the earlier sessions.

The player has a couple flippers, a fire button for each one, and has to ping the enemy bullets back at them.  The flipper orientation can be switched by 90 degrees to allow a little more flexibility in aiming.  There'll be a whole load of pinball style bonuses and scoring mechanisms, hopefully.  No idea whether this will work, but hey, that's what these sessions are for, right!

An alternative control scheme would be to use the mouse vertical axis to control both flippers at once.  The advantage to this is that you can control speed, and keep the flipper angle at a fixed position (useful for reflecting laser beams), the downside is not having independent control of each flipper, plus it doesn't really feel like pinball this way.  I'll see which one works best.
Read November 25, 2009, 04:09:52 PM #1
CaptainJustice

Re: Odessi's entry: <untitled>

Try finding a way to use both!

Like a toggle-button that lets you set the flippers' default positions.
Read November 26, 2009, 03:40:29 PM #2
Odessi

Try finding a way to use both!

Like a toggle-button that lets you set the flippers' default positions.
I have the toggle planned, it'll change the flippers from point out at 90/270 degrees (and moving to 0 degrees) to having them pointing out at 180 degrees (and moving to 90/270).

I'm also thinking about bumpers and other objects to collide off, which will put a strain on things, will have to see if they are feasible.  Another idea for destroying enemies is to activate certain parts of the environment (turrets, etc) by hitting targets with bullets.

Won't be too much to report for a while, while I get the basic system up and running.  Currently hacking bulletscript into my engine.
Read November 26, 2009, 04:20:39 PM #3
CaptainJustice

Idea:

Use the mouse to position flippers! Easy peasy.
Hold space to set them to the lowest possible position and then
Release space to hit things.

Or maybe have that be some other key, labeled "Precision Shot", and then space just sets it back, and immediately hits.
Read December 02, 2009, 01:56:48 PM #4
Hornet600S

Don't forget to add a TILT smartbomb  Smiley

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Read December 02, 2009, 03:35:15 PM #5
Odessi

I'm not sure what tilting would actually do here: shake the enemies, thereby damaging them?  Sounds too conventionnal.

Progress update: still doing work on codebase, just got collision left to do ("just").  But on the subject of smart-bombs I felt I had to try an implement one in my bullet language, so here you go Smiley

Maybe it'll make it into the prototype.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkLeEwRgO1w

Code:
emitter SmartBomb
{
// members
speed = 120;
wait_time = 1;

// functions
expand = function()
{
$width = {ScreenSize_X + 100, 0.4};
$height = {ScreenSize_X + 100, 0.4};
$iwidth += {50, 0.4};
$iheight += {50, 0.4};
wait(0.3);
$alpha = {0, 0.1};
wait(0.1);
die;
}

delayExplode = function(time)
{
wait(time);
arc area(30, 30, 0, 360, 20) : expand();
die;
}

// states
Fire = state
{
tx = ScreenSize_X / 2;
ty = ScreenSize_Y / 2;

dist = (This_X - tx) * (This_X - tx) + (This_Y - ty) * (This_Y - ty);
dist = sqrt(dist);

time = dist / speed;
fireT bullet(tx, ty, 0, speed) : delayExplode(time);
wait(wait_time);
}

}
Read December 03, 2009, 07:44:27 AM #6
moosa

TILT is usually bad...
However, I could just imagine seeing someone playing a game like this at an arcade, then getting mad and taking it out on the machine, resulting in the enemies getting thrashed about and destroyed. Would be quite comical.
Obviously a PC version wont have quite the same charm.

Perhaps you could have the TILT work as a bomb/supermove with the drawback of leaving your controls unresponsive for a few moments afterwards. Would follow logic.

Great to see someone trying something really out-there like this. Certainly some unconventional concepts this session.

Edit: Come to think of it, the reason pinball machines have a TILT function is to prevent people from taking advantage of the physical nature of the game by tilting it. Perhaps you could find another creative way that the player could take advantage by using a tilt function (moving enemies around or something, I don't know), but at the risk of causing the TILT if used more than just a little, rendering controls unresponsive for a time. That would be even more authentic and interesting.

Edit 2: Having mouse movement directly control tilt would certainly be something. On the one hand, accidentally bumping the mouse could be frustrating. But on the other hand, having a tactile, physical link to the game could really be something special, further emulating that physical nature of pinball. Probably a risky idea, and I have no idea what this has to do with shmups, but its fun to think about.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:58:32 AM by moosa »
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 17 queries.