SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ New super shmup in development: Razor 2 Hidden Skies

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read December 21, 2009, 08:40:22 PM #0
pacpacfujishima

New super shmup in development: Razor 2 Hidden Skies

Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback about this new shmup in development, initially for the PC/Windows platform, it's inspired by classics of the genre like Raystorm, Darius, Thunderforce, Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga. It's being made by independent developers Luis Carlos Zardo and Augusto Bülow, friends of mine, and it is in advanced Beta stage. It will feature 8 stages, several weapons to choose from, dozens of enemies and end level bosses. Estimated release time is March 2010, and although available initially for PC/Windows, possible ports for iPhone, X360 and Wii may be possible.

Some screenshots:

It'll be released through a small publisher of casual games as a download-only release, and it will be priced accordingly, in the 5 to 10 bucks range, a bargain if you consider the overall quality of the game. We'll be needing testers to evaluate the level design, hunt bugs and give advice, preferably seasoned shmup players and veterans. Smiley

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:14:28 PM by pacpacfujishima »
Read December 21, 2009, 11:45:46 PM #1
CaptainJustice

Re: New super shmup in development: Razor 2 Hidden Skies

Edit: Hohum
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 03:10:58 PM by CaptainJustice »
Read December 22, 2009, 12:05:20 AM #2
pacpacfujishima

There's a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMb5Q4GDb4w
Read December 22, 2009, 12:21:17 AM #3
monoRAIL

The video looks great - I really like the player ship design.

What's missing at the moment is some additional feedback to make the game more satisfying. When a shot hits an enemy there should be some shrapnel, a flash and a sound effect. At the moment there's no indication that your bullets are hitting until the enemy explodes.

Also, when an enemy is about to fire it should glow or flash or indicate in some way that it's about to fire, so that you can see where the threats are coming from.
Read December 22, 2009, 08:35:14 AM #4
mpersano

Wow, congratulations! The modeling/texturing is quite impressive, and the fancy per-pixel-lighting-bump-mapping-shader thing looks pretty good. The video looks great.

I agree with monoRAIL though, add some particles to the explosions. :-)
Read December 22, 2009, 03:06:28 PM #5
pacpacfujishima

Thanks for the feedback, guys!  I've also suggested an energy bar for the bosses, also more polishing in some of the floating items and target-lock icons.

I'll be posting a new video later, this one looks too dark - some video encoding tweaks needed.
Read December 31, 2009, 05:33:51 PM #6
the2bears

My first impression from the video is "the enemy bullets are too hard to see".

Without actually playing it I can't say much more.  You have to ask yourself as a shmup developer, "Would I play this if I saw it in an arcade?"  Answer that question honestly and you're on the right track.  Incorrectly answering this question is the primary sin of the so-called Euroshmups.  This game looks technically well done, but I'm not sure (yet) how it might fare on the gameplay question.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read December 31, 2009, 06:59:52 PM #7
pacpacfujishima

Hi Bill!

Yes I'd play it in an arcade if we manage to fix that basic list:
- enemy patterns
- bullet colors
- balancing issues
...and some other things.
Main challenge was Augusto's (the programmer) lack of experience in shmups, Luis (the game designer) sent him PC's Raiden 3 and 4 and things improved a bit. As an graphic artist, I'm lobbying to work in the rest of the assets to complete the game soon (remaining bosses and stages to meet the planned 8 levels). And also doing some PR. Smiley

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Read April 18, 2010, 04:18:10 AM #8
OMNICYPHER

the game looks great, but the yellow screen flashing is very annoying.

Good gameplay is when Pace is inversely proportional to mental effort
Read April 18, 2010, 02:36:33 PM #9
moosa

Hey, how'd I miss this?
The title screen gets a 10/10 for style, but your game logo has a serious case of "IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO READ." I was wondering what "RRR" stood for when first looking at it, and I would never have been able to decipher it if you hadn't put the name of the game in the topic title. I think it's pretty important for a game's success that people are able to remember the title, but if this were in an arcade I don't think anyone would even be able to figure out what it is. Ever. And a game without a title is pretty much dead in the water, no matter how good it may be.

I haven't watched the vid yet, but the graphics look very, very nice. Maybe a little too much emphasis on the fancy lighting and not enough on shot visibility, as "the2bears" mentioned. (I have to copy/paste his username so he doesn't get offended.) The perspective is a bit unorthodox, which could be a good thing or a bad thing; hard to tell without playing it.

In any case, what's the status of development here? It's already April after all... You still around? Tongue
Read April 18, 2010, 05:22:15 PM #10
kdmiller3

As good as everything looks, foreground objects still don't stand out against the background as much as they should for good visibility.  The player should be able to spot every gameplay-relevant entity with only a brief glance, though that can be difficult to reconcile with a realistic art style.
Read July 13, 2010, 02:26:07 PM #11
pacpacfujishima

Official release date is July 19, it's already showing up on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34920/

Congratulations to the devs for completing and delivering this impressive shmup!
Read June 17, 2011, 03:48:14 AM #12
Tiao_Ferreira

BRASIL!

TO MOOSA: The logo is not a triple R, is the "RAZOR" word, using a stylized graphism. See another time, more carefully.

Mano Luís, manda brasa, mermão!

"O melhor da escola é a merenda!" - Alf, o E.T.imoso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 18 queries.