Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ J2ME Development

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read January 08, 2006, 10:24:25 AM #0
caseyd

J2ME Development

Has anyone had any experience with J2ME development on any platform? I am interested in possibly doing something on a Nokia phone. I have to wait a week or two until I can get a new phone however, as mine is currently almost dead.
Read January 08, 2006, 12:41:14 PM #1
mikiex

Re: J2ME Development

You don't need to wait, you dev using emulators on your pc,
Im interested in doing mobile stuff, I have done some graphics
for it before - no coding though. I have set up all the dev ide's
and it is a bit of a pain to get going
Read January 08, 2006, 03:42:21 PM #2
caseyd

Graphics huh? I am definitely going to try a mobile project in the next few months maybe we could work together since I am really bad with graphics.
Read January 09, 2006, 07:22:00 PM #3
mikiex

maybe if you can get something up and running, thats the first hurdle with phone stuff, I think PPC stuff might be easyer
Read January 15, 2006, 06:50:42 PM #4
MarkR

Your best bet is to get the Sun WTK either 1 or 2 (for MIDP 1 and 2 respectively).

Then you'll be able to test MIDlets, but it's not a very compelling dev environment.

There are various Eclipse plugins which do various things, but I haven't tried any of them.

When I did some J2ME, I mostly "rolled my own" build environment. I used ant and some rather heavily customised build.xml files to build the .zip file.

I modified the J2ME build process rather a lot over the conventional one, to add various hacks and save valuable kb.

I also used proguard obfuscator / shrinker (useful).

Mark
Read January 16, 2006, 03:50:43 AM #5
caseyd

Thanks for the advice. I am probably going to end up using a custom build environment myself. I'm taking my required Java course for school starting this week and we are going to be building everything using ant. I take it you've done at least some mobile development?
Read January 21, 2006, 07:26:05 AM #6
MarkR

Really just playing around, I made a simple Arkanoid-style game, and I started writing a couple of others.

I've got a demo online here

http://mobgames.gensortium.com/emulator/mobark.html

This uses a J2SE applet to run an emulator (microemulator) which runs the J2ME game. The game runs on Sony Ericsson phones.

Unfortunately I had a T610 with the first software revision, this was very buggy and crashed for no reason (there was no on-device debugging and this crash could not be reproduced on an emulator).

I tried being as careful as possible to stress the phone out as little as possible - but failed. Inconsistent errors constantly plagued the game. Sometime you could complete all 6 levels, other times it crashed on level 1.

The newer devices are much better.

Mark
Read January 22, 2006, 03:13:00 AM #7
caseyd

I just picked up a Nokia 6102. I have a data cable on the way so hopefully soon I'll be able to start playing around.
Read January 23, 2006, 05:34:55 AM #8
the2bears

I just picked up a Nokia 6102. I have a data cable on the way so hopefully soon I'll be able to start playing around.

I don't bother with a cable... serving up a jad/jar is pretty easy from any webserver.  Easiest way to load something onto the phones IMO.  Allows testing on other phones easier too, just carry the URL around with you in your head, try it out when you get the chance.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read January 30, 2006, 05:34:56 PM #9
Sysiphus

I work in that. I'm gfx maker for mobile games.(inside a healthy company)

Done like...heck...dunno if 5 games for java in summer... I mean, the graphics...

also did some before...And before I was all about pc games.

And do also for symbian ones. (faster 2d, 3d low pol..)

One note: they'r freaking hard to sell and distribute...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 17 queries.