SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Rules and General Discussion
|-+ What do we think about the future rapid prototype

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Read September 24, 2010, 12:03:55 AM #40
Null1024

Re: What do we think about the future rapid prototype

Cool

[Haven't been here in ages, although that's because I haven't made anything in ages. Just started with the Stencyl beta, and occasionally dabble in GM, but not as much as before...]
Read September 25, 2010, 11:02:25 PM #41
lazerblade

The 26th is tomorrow (in my time zone) so I'll try to start session seventeen then
as long as nobody states an objection.
Read September 26, 2010, 02:31:49 AM #42
lagonie

in my zime zone it is already 5:28 a.m. the 26th Wink
hard to wait for your anouncement Cheesy
Read September 26, 2010, 05:45:43 PM #43
lazerblade

Lol, I didn't notice that I wasn't allowed to create new boards.  Roll Eyes

I'll just announce it in this thread.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 06:50:29 PM by lazerblade »

Read September 27, 2010, 01:07:37 AM #44
kdmiller3

I found that out too.  I was going to start a 17th session a couple months ago but got stymied by that little fact.  I never thought of posting it elsewhere.  Cheesy
Read October 13, 2010, 01:05:19 AM #45
the2bears

I'm really busy these days, but getting the itch again to code a game.  Haven't done anything since my last entry in... how many months ago?  Is it over a year? 

Thinking that the 2 week format doesn't give enough time with my schedule.  Thoughts on a longer time frame?  Perhaps with the expectation that the games are a little (just a little) more polished?

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read October 13, 2010, 01:57:17 AM #46
lazerblade

Yea, I've had thoughts about session length as well.
I think increasing session length would be a good idea.
The only problem would be if it became longer than a month.
After all it is Rapid prototype.  Roll Eyes
After #17, we should decide how long the sessions will be.
Read October 13, 2010, 08:24:29 AM #47
lagonie

I had to experience it too ^^

To study and running two projects the same time is very time consuming.

I could think of 3-4 Weeks.  The standard for finished entries would increase automatic, i think. So we dont have to worry about setting new requirements or something...

Read October 14, 2010, 04:27:25 AM #48
moosa

Making it too long would make it too daunting though. Expectations would be higher and you'd have to dedicate more into each session. In my opinion, no more than 3 weeks would be best.
Read October 14, 2010, 01:39:14 PM #49
lazerblade

Three weeks would be my preference as well.
Since at least two sessions have been extended an extra week, it probably wouldn't hurt.
Read October 14, 2010, 01:43:38 PM #50
lazerblade

Ooooo, just noticed that I started a 'Hot Topic'.   cool1
Do I get an award or something?  Grin
Read October 19, 2010, 05:11:53 AM #51
moosa

If you do then somebody owes me something.
Read October 19, 2010, 05:54:12 PM #52
lazerblade

You should vote Moosa, otherwise we'll be doomed to a tie.
Read October 20, 2010, 10:19:24 AM #53
moosa

What you should have said is "You should vote Moosa, otherwise you'll be doomed to die." That may have motivated me.

Truth be told I haven't actually tried yours yet lazerblade. Therefore I can't rightfully vote... Wink
Read October 25, 2010, 04:31:40 PM #54
lagonie

Ok two-man compo is over we can bury the board again :p

(and some call me polemic...zzz)
Read October 25, 2010, 07:44:00 PM #55
lazerblade

LOL, I'd never even heard of choplifter before.  Cheesy
I'll have to find some way to play it...

And it's not over yet. We've got almost a whole week to go and moosa hasn't voted yet.
Read October 25, 2010, 09:30:44 PM #56
lagonie

Till then we two can try to setup the shmup-dev wiki, if you like.

just pm me. best with some icq or msn adress.  (of course anyone can...)
Read November 02, 2010, 04:29:15 PM #57
kemical

I like experimentalgameplay.com's format, you're only allowed to spend 7 days total on your entry, but the theme runs for the whole month so it allows a flexible schedule.

I only dislike the month wait between themes, I really think it would be nice to give a two week window with the rule that you're limited to 7 days total, that way there is still flexibility for schedules and there isn't the thought of it being a race to crunch and polish the longest in order to have the best entry.

Keep in mind that these are Rapid Prototype Sessions... we really shouldn't need more than a total week of actual work, it shouldn't be about who can polish the longest. 
Read November 03, 2010, 02:25:53 AM #58
moosa

That's a cool idea but I foresee problems... How do you really limit yourself to only spending that much time on it? A deadline is a deadline and you either finish in time or you don't, simple, but with this on top of it you're really restricting your ability to be flexible according to your project's needs. There are always unforeseen issues and judging the amount of time it will take to implement your project's different components can be very difficult. I don't think that everyone here is confident enough in their programming and development skills to be able to work within that kind of self-imposed restriction with much success.
Read November 03, 2010, 04:02:59 AM #59
lazerblade

I agree with moosa, that would increase the stress level which would in turn decrease the quality of the prototype.

I think two weeks is an optimal amount of time to spend, as it gives you enough time to create a solid prototype rather than something that feels rushed and incomplete. Now I'm definitely not saying that a prototype needs to be a complete game or anything close to it. Two weeks allows for a solid error margin and still keeps it from becoming a race of polish.

The main problem that we seem to see is scheduling. If you for example work every other week, then you would only get one week of work in for a two week session. But extending it to three or four weeks would give the others so much extra time it wouldn't be fair. One week is too short, three is almost too long, two weeks can cause scheduling problems. It comes down to picking the lesser of a few evils.

I like two weeks, could live with one or three though.
Read November 03, 2010, 09:09:51 AM #60
moosa

Lets look at it this way. It's always been two weeks, laid back, nothing complicated. It's worked successfully in the past. I'm thinking the only thing we really need is more interest and excitement again. We can't ever expect everyone to be able to participate and successfully complete an entry for every session, but the more interest we can generate from more people, the more entries we'll receive and the more people will get excited about it and want to do what they can to participate in the future sessions. Its sort of a momentum thing. Traffic to this site is very low right now, so I think a lot of this discussion is spawning from the idea of trying to cater to the very few that float around here. Maybe we just need more people interested.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 09:14:06 AM by moosa »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.