|-+ Rapid prototype session 17

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read September 26, 2010, 05:51:55 PM #0
lazerblade

Rapid prototype session 17

Theme: "the other side".

Idea:

You get to be the bad guy.

Instead of being a ship fighting off aliens, why not be an alien trying to decimate the earth? Abduct innocent people and shoot fighters, or launch missiles at cities on earth.
The possibilities are almost endless. Just make a game where the player is the bad guy.

As for where to post your game, maybe you can have a single post in this topic. That way session 17 will be contained. Or something...
Just try to avoid utter chaos, okay? Cheesy

The loose deadline will be October 10th, my time zone. Probably around five o'clock.

EDIT: Deadline extended one week to October 17th

Good luck!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:49:31 PM by lazerblade »

Read September 27, 2010, 02:18:05 AM #1
moosa

Re: Rapid prototype session 17

Perhaps the2bears will show his face and create a proper place in the forum for this session before too long. But I hope everyone will go ahead with it and get started anyways. Smiley
Read September 27, 2010, 07:10:28 PM #2
mpersano

I'm in, but it should be pointed out that, unlike in previous sessions, the current theme places no restriction whatsoever on game mechanics, only on "plot". Since plot rarely matters in shmups, this means that one could basically do anything. :-) For instance, one could redo Space Invaders and say that the invaders are Earth's Defense Force, while the player is piloting an evil Venusian ship, and play an exploding Earth animation after the player defeats 10 waves or something. :-)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:14:13 PM by mpersano »
Read September 27, 2010, 07:31:56 PM #3
lazerblade

Yes, but it does force artwork constraints.

E.G: the space invaders would have to be drawn as fighters, and the player as an alien.

It's a bit better than some of the theme's that were suggested in the light of being plot
based. Though it does seem like I could have put more effort into making it based on
gameplay.

But at least there is a new Rapid Prototype competition. Wink
Read September 27, 2010, 08:06:18 PM #4
lagonie

had to think a while, but got a mechanism for that theme Wink
Read September 27, 2010, 09:50:32 PM #5
mpersano

But at least there is a new Rapid Prototype competition. Wink

Yep. :-) Thanks for that. :-)
Read September 29, 2010, 05:15:53 AM #6
moosa

Hey I thought of a pretty rockin' idea for this... I'm not planning to enter though. If anyone wants my idea I'll make you a good deal... Wink
Read October 01, 2010, 05:03:18 PM #7
lazerblade

I have an idea, we'll see if I have time to put it together before the deadline.
Read October 01, 2010, 09:25:28 PM #8
Yumil

It's sad, but I won't be entering as I already have a shmup in the works that does this story wise(as in your goal is to destroy Earth), so it wouldn't be fair to enter as a prototype.
Read October 01, 2010, 10:18:57 PM #9
mpersano

I'm working on mine, but I can't guarantee that it will have anything to do with the theme. :-)
Read October 08, 2010, 12:15:44 AM #10
lazerblade

Mine is done, but I'm not releasing it until tomorrow (October 8th).
Hope there's more competition than last time.  Wink
Read October 08, 2010, 09:19:17 AM #11
moosa

Gosh, has it been that long already? I hope other people are well along with theirs... There hasn't been any real updates from anyone. I think it helps keep everyone motivated and on-track when people can post their entries as a topic and everyone can read updates on them and leave feedback and such as the session continues. Without that I can't help but wonder if anyone besides lazerblade has done anything at all... Honestly, to me, it only feels like a week has gone by. Tongue
Read October 08, 2010, 05:28:14 PM #12
lagonie

Haha,

I totaly share the "that was more than a week??"-feeling ^^

And I really did a lot this week whenever I had some free time.
Because I wanted to be prepared for every upcoming Comp here I programmed my own small shmup-libs.
I hope I can also finish the implementation of my idea to the given theme  laugh
We will see tomorrow Smiley
Read October 08, 2010, 06:22:18 PM #13
moosa

As long as there's two people who submit entries I'm satisfied. Cheesy
Read October 12, 2010, 11:14:55 PM #14
kemical

I didn't even know there was a session 17 due to it being posted in here  Undecided
Read October 12, 2010, 11:34:31 PM #15
lazerblade

If you hurry, there's still time to scrape an entry together.
You could probably even turn it in a little later than the extended deadline.
This is probably going to be one of the looser sessions, since it's the first in awhile.
Read October 13, 2010, 12:08:58 AM #16
kemical

it's alright Smiley  it just reminds me of how poorly I think the forums are organized since I didn't notice the post, so I posted a suggestion thread on it...I'd really like this place to improve, I think it is as simple as re-organizing the boards, as a starting point.

http://www.shmup-dev.com/forum/index.php/topic,2450.0.html
Read October 13, 2010, 01:02:02 AM #17
the2bears

I think it was actually a pretty tough theme... not easy coming up with gameplay ideas for the "other side".

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read October 13, 2010, 07:36:04 AM #18
geekman

I think it was actually a pretty tough theme... not easy coming up with game play ideas for the "other side".

Bill

not really, just give the player an evil looking space ship, replace the enemies' ship with earth-like vessels, like some VF-1J or VF-1S, and set the Earth as the background and we've got a winner~!  Tongue
Read October 13, 2010, 11:41:48 AM #19
lazerblade

Yes, you could probably get away with that.
But the person who came up with something gameplay based (E.G: abducting people) Wink would probably have a better shot at winning.

Take GTA for example, it's no shmup but you get to STEAL cars. So you are the bad guy. Uplink you get to hack illegally.

You could get by on modded graphics for a space invaders game, but to come up with something based on gameplay takes a little creativity.
Read October 13, 2010, 06:39:14 PM #20
geekman

ok... so we will replace the bonus medals with human sprite, there you go, we have alien abduction covered nicely.  laugh

Maybe I'm just short on imagination, but I just couldn't think of any really outstanding ideas to make a really convincing plot/game play that portrays the player as "the bad guy" in a shmup. A shmup is a shmup is a shmup. I learned that fact the hard way some time ago. There are a couple of games that put the players in a bad guy's shoes successfully like Evil Genius or Dungeon Master, but those are not shmup.

Since you mentioned GTA, maybe we could make a top down view version of GTA (IIRC GTA 1 is top down view) with the player's sprite replace by an alien ship, and make the game not auto scrolling, but rather let the player move around in 4 or 8 directions, in a large area map doing things like planting bombs, shooting away power plants/military bases, abducting Mr Presidents, deploying alien brain washing antennas, defending alien teleportation portals, etc etc, while fighting hordes of F18s and M1A1s...

But I guess that's way beyond the scope of Rapid Prototyping, amirite?  Grin
Read October 13, 2010, 08:00:01 PM #21
lazerblade

Well you wouldn't have to do ALL of those things...
It's true that this theme leans closer to plotline than previous themes.

I had to come up with a theme quick though, before somebody picked "india, obama, and the effect of space travel on the health system", or "water on the moon".  angel I might be short on imagination, but there is no way I'm thinking of a prototype based on gameplay derived from those themes.   Cheesy
Read October 18, 2010, 02:27:14 AM #22
moosa

Wellll, my idea was to create a mechanic to be able to switch between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" at will, a bit similar to Ikaruga's polarity swapping, but hopefully with some pretty unique interactions with AI units and such. Unfortunately such a system would likely be difficult to put together effectively for a rapid prototype session. Smiley Just thought I'd share though.
Read October 31, 2010, 04:04:32 AM #23
lazerblade

Looks like Lagonie's gonna be the one to win this one.
Voting closes in about 17 hours and he's got one ahead of me.

If any of you want to jump in and vote for me to save the day I wouldn't mind.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 18 queries.