Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ Go with Python, or Alternatives?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read November 07, 2010, 12:59:48 AM #0
whisper

Go with Python, or Alternatives?

I was wondering what people here think of Python as a starting point for programming 2D shmups. A friend of mine recommended it. It's easy enough to get to grips with, but is it effective/efficient? Are there better routes to take?
Read November 07, 2010, 01:34:52 AM #1
lazerblade

Re: Go with Python, or Alternatives?

Well I've studied(or at least dabbled in) C++,C,Python,BlitzBasic, and java. Ideally, I'd recommend learning as many programming languages as possible and then writing your program in the language which seems best. BTW, I've also done gameMaker, but I think a programming language is much more useful for developing games.

Now if you're looking for a starting point, it's hard for me to make a recommendation.
I started with C, but it was rough and hard. The only reason I can think of against Python as a beginner language is that you might get used to loose typing(which I don't like but some love) and then if you moved on to C++(which is my preference at this time) or something else you might have a hard time.

My recommendation is Java. It's easy, elegant, and great for 2D games. I've heard it's 3D is no longer snail speed, but I've yet to test that myself. And as a bonus, if you write your program in Java, it will run on almost any OS/platform without you having to even lift a finger.

Maybe I should practice what I preach and use it more myself, but that's MY problem.

Good luck. Wink
Read November 07, 2010, 01:49:36 AM #2
whisper

Well I've studied(or at least dabbled in) C++,C,Python,BlitzBasic, and java. Ideally, I'd recommend learning as many programming languages as possible and then writing your program in the language which seems best. BTW, I've also done gameMaker, but I think a programming language is much more useful for developing games.

Now if you're looking for a starting point, it's hard for me to make a recommendation.
I started with C, but it was rough and hard. The only reason I can think of against Python as a beginner language is that you might get used to loose typing(which I don't like but some love) and then if you moved on to C++(which is my preference at this time) or something else you might have a hard time.

My recommendation is Java. It's easy, elegant, and great for 2D games. I've heard it's 3D is no longer snail speed, but I've yet to test that myself. And as a bonus, if you write your program in Java, it will run on almost any OS/platform without you having to even lift a finger.

Maybe I should practice what I preach and use it more myself, but that's MY problem.

Good luck. Wink

Thanks! I hadn't considered Java as an option, but it sounds promising from the above.

Out of curiosity, why don't you use Java yourself? Is it purely down to preference?
Read November 07, 2010, 02:49:11 AM #3
lazerblade

I use Java some, but as to why I don't use it MORE is something else.
Yes it's purely preference. I could write the same game in three or four different languages. C++ is just what I'm used to, even though I like Java better and know it's actually a better language. I know it seems ironic for me to prefer a language I like less than another, but I tend to have weird personality quirks like that...  Grin

And just so you don't get discouraged, programming is HARDD no matter where you start. I started(tried to) with gwbasic on a 386, and that was hard. No matter what, never give up. If you think you've had it, go let off some steam and come back to your project later.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:56:16 AM by lazerblade »

Read November 07, 2010, 02:54:32 AM #4
lazerblade

BTW, C was the first language I learned. Gwbasic was my first attempt, which I gave up. So when I say "started with" I sometimes mean first language I learned or first one I tried. Don't we all love these personality quirks?  Wink
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:15:21 AM by lazerblade »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 18 queries.