SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Rules and General Discussion
|-+ What happens next?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read November 15, 2010, 04:42:46 PM #0
lazerblade

What happens next?

So what do we do now?

Start another session? Change session length?

I think two weeks is the optimal length, and a month is the longest reasonable length.
Read November 16, 2010, 02:27:27 AM #1
Yumil

Re: What happens next?

One month is good as long as there is the unofficial rule that time spent on the game shouldn't be a month. We want rapid prototypes and 1-2 weeks of work is enough for that and any other time spent it probably wouldn't be a prototype anymore.

That being said, if we moved to month it would be very hard to keep the ball rolling. Sure, it gives plenty of people time to participate, but adding downtime to it and it'll still probably be as inactive as it is now. We still want people to vote for the best and the winner to chose the next them, however I suggest we reboot it a bit to include a longer timeframe for acceptance, but lose the downtime between sessions.

How I'd do the reboot:
1. Community submits a bunch of possible themes for the first two reboot sessions.(Why 2? Well, the voting for the first one will happen while the second one starts, so we need two themes queued up)
2. Select one theme at random and start the first session having the submission time be one month from the day it starts.
3. Select a second theme at random and start it when the first one ends.
4. Have voting for the first session start the same day the second theme starts, the winner gets to pick the theme for the next session start(third)

To do the reboot, I suggest we get someone with admin access to this forum to clean it up, or we need to start our own separate one just specifically for this.

Also, to further facilitate this, we need to start up a wiki that specifically contains content that would help speed up the completion of prototypes. What I am talking about is:
  • Artwork developed by the Community that is free to use for the prototype sessions
  • Music created by the community for the prototype sessions
  • Code samples and tutorials(possible archiving a lot of the the valuable data from this forum in case we lose it again)

Having such a resource would be very valuable to those who want to quickly get up to speed on the prototype sessions.
Read November 16, 2010, 02:39:30 PM #2
lazerblade

I like your idea, but I think lagonie kinda has rights to picking the next session.
So maybe the first reboot would be picked by him and the second would be picked
at random from community suggestions.

And yes, we definitely need an admin especially if we want to reboot.

But I think it was moosa who said the main problem wasn't as much the problem of
session rules or length, but a lack of users.

So maybe everyone should try to bring a friend or something next time. Wink

I think an art repo is an excellent idea, I even started my own art 
library for use with shmup games/prototypes. I would be glad to
contribute that and I could create more art to contribute. You should
check out the shmup wiki lagonie started, it needs a lot of work though.

All in all, I think we should all try to contribute to the wiki and get things rolling on it.

As our first step toward rebooting, we need an admin who can chunk out a piece of their schedule and devote it to this forum.
Or we need a current user with the extra time to get admin rights.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:42:16 PM by lazerblade »

Read November 17, 2010, 04:58:41 AM #3
Yumil

I like your idea, but I think lagonie kinda has rights to picking the next session.
So maybe the first reboot would be picked by him and the second would be picked
at random from community suggestions.
That is acceptable.

And yes, we definitely need an admin especially if we want to reboot.

But I think it was moosa who said the main problem wasn't as much the problem of
session rules or length, but a lack of users.
Lack of users happened to a bunch of different things. One of em is that this forum is highly unstable. It's been knocked down a few times and we lost users each time it's happened. Add to that, there is an amount of down time between finishing one session and starting another, we lose people there too. All in all, a bigger window for turning in and smaller downtime should help in the longrun to keep poeple active.

Throw in some sort of repository of code, art, music, etc, and we are bound to get more prototypes per session.

So maybe everyone should try to bring a friend or something next time. Wink
Aye, that definitely would help.

Another possible way to bring people in is to have people donate for prize money each month. Doesn't have to be much, just an incentive and split between the first three spots. We'd have to have someone trustworthy administering it though.Possibly could have it paid for by donations and ads via some good adgroup like project wonderful. First few reboots would probably be few entries but as word catches on we should get quite a few active people. It's just a suggestion, but tangible prizes do bring people in. I know we'd get people competing that don't pitch in to the pot, but hey it's only one downside.

I think an art repo is an excellent idea, I even started my own art 
library for use with shmup games/prototypes. I would be glad to
contribute that and I could create more art to contribute. You should
check out the shmup wiki lagonie started, it needs a lot of work though.

All in all, I think we should all try to contribute to the wiki and get things rolling on it.
I didn't realize a wiki had been started. Thats good, we could probably get some of this on that.

As our first step toward rebooting, we need an admin who can chunk out a piece of their schedule and devote it to this forum.
Or we need a current user with the extra time to get admin rights.
Agreed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:00:23 AM by Yumil »
Read November 18, 2010, 10:40:29 PM #4
kemical

We could open the rapid prototype sessions up to non-forum members, present it as a standalone page and each theme gets a comment section where participants can post a link to their entry.. it would mean those people wouldn't get to vote if we kept voting to the forum. This might help bring a bit more activity, since the link could be sent out to relevant websites and blogs to attract attention and it would be easy to participate and also glance over and download  past sessions all in the same page.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:42:14 PM by kemical »
Read November 19, 2010, 11:10:58 PM #5
lagonie

Hi there Smiley  we are back online... goood Smiley

first thing:
I think we should not adjust the time limit too much.
maybe one week + 4 or 5 extra days.

yes, it is a good idea to decrease the time between the sessions. this lowers the "sleepy" times between sessions, where people run away ^^.

I would recomend a competition every 2 weeks with a length of 10-13 days.

maybe many people dont have the time to make an entry every two weeks. But I think that could even be more interesting not to compete with the same people every time.

And FINALY: ^^
at first I thought I dont care to choose a new theme.
but I came up with something I wanna tell you NOW!

after we finished our disussion(vote?) about the new guidelines/rules:
"make a non-playable demo to promote the new prototyping comp format"

thats it,  I hope you all agree, this should make a good transition into the new richly visited proto-comp era Cheesy

Read November 20, 2010, 01:30:55 AM #6
lazerblade

A playable demo is more fun.  Grin
Read November 20, 2010, 02:19:22 AM #7
lagonie

since I wrote my post I am thinking about this point ^^
Maybe the basic Idea to produce something to show off was right.
But the non-playable part came to quick out of my head ^^

but I allready got a better idea in that same direction.
But since it is more like the usual themes i wont tell for now ^^

Just tell me when to start ^^
Read November 20, 2010, 05:15:24 AM #8
lazerblade

^^ Sounds good. ^^ ^^

I think we're kinda waiting for somebody to say "admin X has committed the time." or "admin rights have hereby been bestowed upon user Y who has committed the time." ^^

Or something like that.. ^^

And one more ^^ just for good measure.  tongue1
Read November 20, 2010, 09:20:32 PM #9
lagonie

I think we should set ourself a shedule for the decisions as well as a date for the next session. If it is not possible to contact an admin or gain admin rights somehow, we should consider the plan B to set some kind of site ourself. ( This session really shouldnt die. Its one of the last outposts of the shmup szene ^^ )

Christmas time seems like a good time to promote anything ^^
So maybe the next session should allready be the one were we try to get as much awareness and participation as possible. (the theme I have in mind would fit for that very well, too ^^)

What I think we need now:

1.) SOMEONE to collect all the adjustment ideas made for future sessions. And let every one vote or find a consensus on this matter somehow.

2.) ANOTHER to think of promotion ( where, when, how? ) and then gather people and ressources to kick it of

3.) ANOTHER to deal with the issue of the platform for the sessions ( this Forum? or what? ) and contact an admin or whatever is needed. Maybe set something new up ( board, cms, whatever *)

4.) COMMUNICATION! It woks fine at the moment and it better stay that way ^^

My time is short but I would do something. I dont really prefer one task, but if I had to choose I would do the second.

*And as allways I can offer my ressources: got webspace with mySQL and everything, can even setup ftp-accounts if nedded. And maybe I would sponsor an URL adress if we get this thing rolling Wink

------------------------
edit:

5.) Someone to correct my spelling issues xD
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:28:39 PM by lagonie »
Read November 21, 2010, 07:20:08 PM #10
CaptainJustice

Maybe instead of a contest (which I'm not good at participating in etc etc) have a big collaboration project thing?
Read November 22, 2010, 01:48:45 AM #11
Yumil

Maybe instead of a contest (which I'm not good at participating in etc etc) have a big collaboration project thing?

Problem with collabs is that our talents are all so varied, it'd be easier said than done.

If you look at all the different ways people have submitted games, you'd see that there is no one prevailing language people use. C# with XNA, C++ with OpenGL, C++ with directx, JAVA, GameMaker, Dark Basic, etc... Many of us are in it for coding practice along with furthering shmup development and it'd be hard to pick which format to go with.

It's easier to do collabs with groups that stick with one type of media. You see a ton of art, music, and video collabs. The only game collabs I see are flash.

The only thing I could think of is if we had each person make their own game in a series using art done by the group based on some sort of story done by the group. That way each dev(or team) can put their own unique touches on it and it still stays collaborative. There would have to be some things that stay true for each game, but enough room for people to have fun.
Read November 22, 2010, 03:28:09 AM #12
lazerblade

Yea, one thing that makes these sessions so good is the diversity in dev preferences. As to moving, I don't think it's a good idea.

Sure, maybe this forum could use some minor changes. (or major changes)
But it's a good domain name, with good people behind it.
Wiki = great addition to the art of the shmup. We need to flock to this thing and get it on it's feet.

And yes, we need some form of promotion. At least by word of mouth, as right now I have no idea how else we would promote it.

One thing I've wanted to do for awhile with any game is a larger scale competition. Like two months or something like that. I'm not saying we need to have one right away, maybe we should have a yearly longer competition or something.

As to bestowing admin rights on a user with the extra time, I vote that we vote on a user and then PM the admins. Nobody could be voted for that doesn't give their consent first. Their consent being given with the understanding that they have time to devote. Kind like the way lagonie had it. But I'd try to avoid giving people specific things to do and kinda let them over lap.

That in mind, I could do it. I'm an inherent extremist though, so I might do a bare minimum for a week or more and then suddenly spend all day several days in a row.
Read January 15, 2011, 12:43:49 AM #13
Null1024

Are we ever having one of these again? I kind of miss these compos.
Read January 17, 2011, 08:14:30 AM #14
motorherp

Are we ever having one of these again? I kind of miss these compos.

Please read the following thread -> Shmup-dev reboot ........... possibly.  If a reboot comes then I'll definately start investing the time to get these compos up and running again.  They will form a core part of my strategy for this website since they have proven to be by far the largest attractor to this site and community so I'd aim to make them even bigger and better Smiley.  If it happens though then I'll likely make slight changes to the format and introduce some further rules.  This would be needed since having studied the website statistics and refferals here I've noticed a rather disturbing trend that a lot of our compo entry download requests are coming from other external indie game websites who are directly hot-linking to compo entries without giving this website or competition any credit or sharing any of that traffic with us.  Rather supprisingly too is that much of this content leeching is coming from rather large and respected websites who I'd expect better from.  Therefore I will have to take extra measures to assure that content generated for these competitions remain firmly associated with these compos and the website, but I'll try to make this as unobstructive for the developers as possible.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:16:03 AM by motorherp »

Read April 12, 2011, 02:21:42 PM #15
MEGAMANXPERTsinisha

either get new members or do the reboot.

..-.--.-..-.--..-.
W A R N I N G

NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION DESCRIBED AS HELLSINKER
KEEP YOUR DIGNITY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 18 queries.