SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ Control Schemes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read January 17, 2006, 07:48:08 AM #0
Orca

Control Schemes

Hi all,

I'm finally at the point now where I'm starting to prototype my core gameplay. I have some high level concepts on where I want to go with this, and  basically its an overhead view that can scroll around with the player as you go blow things up Smiley

Right now I'm wondering about a control scheme. Personally, I'm fond of gamepads for these types of games, but I realize on the pc that gamepads aren't standard issue.

I'm thinking I can either design for the gamepad, and be able to use the keyboard as backup or just design for keyboard + mouse from the get go. ( I can't really think of a good way to map gamepad style controls to utilize the mouse and keyboard together ).

I could use keyboard for movement, and the mouse for aiming but at this point I'm not really sure what would be better. I was also thinking that perhaps a quasi-warcraft 3 style might work too... for instance movement with the keyboard, aiming with the mouse, and ocassionally you would select weapons or defense styles, etc by clicking on a control panel at the bottom of the screen.

Anyone have any opinions on this? Do you guys have a preference for anything?

I guess I'm just looking for general ideas, suggestions and whatnot.

Smiley
Read January 17, 2006, 08:01:00 AM #1
Bursar

Re: Control Schemes

You can't use the mouse for aiming *and* use it for clicking icons on a control panel. Doing that will orient the players weapons away from any possible threat and towards the control panel. Unless ofcourse there is nothing going on when the control panel selections are needed (game is paused, player is between levels and so-on).

Depending on what you're doing with the control panel, you could use the mouse wheel to scroll through the list, with a middle/right click to make the selection. That way the player can still keep their guns on target whilst making changes.

The other option is keyboard control like an FPS and use the number keys to select weapons/tactics.

I suspect you might just need to prototype a few different design desicions and see which works best for your game.
Read January 17, 2006, 08:27:52 AM #2
Edge

I think this is up to your game concept.

I generally like to play things with my pad, but I have to admit that some games play lots better with mouse.

So if your game is more about fast aiming at directions / pointing, I'd suggest a mouse. But if the game's focus is more about evading and dodging I'd suggest to make a gamepad (keyboard, only) control.

Again, I think that depends on what kind of game you like to make?

Missile Command with a pad would be painful as Gradius would be with mouse.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:29:35 AM by Edge »
Read January 17, 2006, 11:22:10 AM #3
d000hg

I can only suggest you code it to support all 3, and let it be totally configurable. I don't mean for the final release, but this would let you and some others test what actually works.
Read January 17, 2006, 11:57:47 AM #4
Orca

I gave it some thought, and I'm still leaning towards a gamepad type setup, but I will end up testing both.

Thanks for the input guys.

If anyone else wants to add to this thread please feel free!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 5.457 seconds with 18 queries.