Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ Shmup sprites

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read March 06, 2011, 08:58:19 PM #0
jtx2

Shmup sprites

I was wondering in a horizontal scrolling shmup what angle are the sprites generally drawn in. Using the ddp series as reference I noticed that the enemies in the air and the enemies on the ground are generally drawn at different angles as well. Does anyone know the exact angle they use when drawing the sprites? It doesn't look like standard isometric.
Read March 07, 2011, 08:33:45 AM #1
Hornet600S

Re: Shmup sprites

You mean vertical scrolling Smiley

Anyway, I checked out some screenshots of Dodonpachi. I found some asumably flat round holes in the ground (see attachment).

Now if I analyze the "squeezing-factor" of that hole by fitting it into a iso-rectangle I come to the conclusion, that ddp uses an about 110 degree isometric view instead of the "classic" 120 degree (as described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection).

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Read March 10, 2011, 04:06:57 PM #2
Squirrelsquid

I've expiremented with different angles on different shmups sprites myself - My guess is that they did that angle for two reasons:

1.: Planes in a topdown shmup look better when the angle is more from the top - straight from the top looks cheap but the usual 120° show too much of the front of structures.

2.: they could have used the angle to make their spriteboxes smaller, while still retaining the same overall volume of the shapes.

that's the 2 things that come to mind here.
Read May 04, 2011, 07:53:31 PM #3
jtx2

Revisiting this topic, I think that Cave is not consistent with the angles it uses for drawing sprites in its games. The circle in your image above is definitely at a 110 degree angle but notice how in the image below the tank matches more to the 120 degree view:

The image on the left is 110 at 30 degrees rotation, the one on the right is 120 at 20 degrees rotation

Maybe it's my eyes playing tricks with me but it may even be an angle greater than 120...
Read May 05, 2011, 05:01:13 AM #4
Hornet600S

Yes, looks like you're right. Maybe that's one of the reasons why DDP looks so unique.

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 18 queries.