Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ Weapon Programming

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read January 27, 2006, 04:56:43 PM #0
DXGame

Weapon Programming

I went brain dead so I'm asking this here....

In a typical shooter, there seems to be a default weapon.

In a game I'm working on you can pickup an icon representing a new weapon and use it.

You also can collect up to 4 power up icons for your current weapon.

If you're at level 4 power up and you pick up a new weapon icon, that new weapon has level 4 power up.

Now, here's the question, if the ship takes a hit, I decrement the power up level. But if the power up level is at the lowest point already when a hit is taken......

a) The player should go back to the default weapon at level 1 power up.

b) Stay at the current weapon at level 1. Only change weapons when a new icon is picked up.

I'm thinking (a)  go back to the default weapon. It will also provide a bit of a challange since the default weapon is not the best one.
Read January 27, 2006, 05:14:30 PM #1
Bursar

Re: Weapon Programming

You might need to test it in several different scenarios and sww how it works out. What you don't want is for the player to end up with a low level weapon, unable to fight back and then dying again pretty quickly.
Read January 27, 2006, 05:28:04 PM #2
DXGame

Right, but how do traditional shooters work? I mauy have to dust off my Dreamcast and Saturn and play some of those bad boys. Wink
Read January 27, 2006, 06:15:06 PM #3
gamesmad

I would say a), its the natural thing that people would expect when they are playing a shmup.

Will
Read January 27, 2006, 06:26:16 PM #4
Matt McFarland

This really depends on how you plan to balance the enemies vs weapons aspect.

For instance:

In Warblade, with every new batch of enemies (and their are hundreds of them) they get a little stronger in hitpoints.  Meaning, if you still have the initial weapon on say, level 60, you're as good as dead.  But in Warblade, when you die you don't go back to the first weapon, you go down one weapon.  So if weapon #1 is weakest, and weapon #10 is the strongest, and you had weapon #5 then after death you would go to weapon #4 and so on.

That works well in Warblade, but that is because the game is balanced around that!

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read January 27, 2006, 06:41:02 PM #5
DXGame

Yah, the "sequential progression" through weapon power doesn't work when you have free floating weapon icons that you can pick up at any time. Depending on the chaos on screen some weapons may or may not work better than others, and sometimes you may not want to run into a weapon icon, but you do anyway, and that affects game play as well.

I think for this game my only option is to go back to the default weapon when the power up level is at minimum and the ship takes a hit. Otherwise you could be stuck (good or bad for the user) on the same weapon for a long time.
Read January 27, 2006, 06:42:40 PM #6
Matt McFarland

Yah, the "sequential progression" through weapon power doesn't work when you have free floating weapon icons that you can pick up at any time. Depending on the chaos on screen some weapons may or may not work better than others, and sometimes you may not want to run into a weapon icon, but you do anyway, and that affects game play as well.

It can work if you add the ability to purchase weapons at a shop of somesort.  That is how warblade does it, and it works very well!!

I think for this game my only option is to go back to the default weapon when the power up level is at minimum and the ship takes a hit. Otherwise you could be stuck (good or bad for the user) on the same weapon for a long time.

I am doing the same for my upcomming game Smiley

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read January 27, 2006, 08:44:24 PM #7
RedKnight

In Radiant Silver gun you allready have 7 different weapons using with 3 different button
and there's isn't weapon icons either

Be Attitude for Gains
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 17 queries.