Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ Preferred Development Tools

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read October 30, 2011, 12:08:09 AM #0
kdmiller3

Preferred Development Tools

Its been a while since this thread began.  Has anyone changed to different IDE, Compilers, etc.?  Celebrating the up coming anniversary of this thread, any updates to your answers? 

It was a good question back in 2007 and it's a good question now, but I'd like to extend it beyond C++ since there's a lot of good languages now.
1. Language
2. Compiler
3. Environment
4. Libraries
5. Tutorials

I'm a professional game developer so I went with the free version of the development environment I use at work.  So:
1. C++
2. Visual C++ 2008/2010 Express
3. Visual C++ 2008/2010 Express IDE
4. GLFW, BASS, TinyXML, Fast Delegate, Box2D
5. I was already familiar with Direct3D but I wanted to try OpenGL so I went with the NeHe and Lazy Foo OpenGL tutorials.  They're a bit oldschool now but they were exactly what I needed at the time.  Smiley

I've been working with Direct3D 9 for another side project, so I'd be inclined to try it for a shmup.  It's easier than I thought it would be but still nowhere near as easy as "classic" OpenGL (1.x).
Read October 30, 2011, 03:32:32 AM #1
DeadlyRedCube

Re: Preferred Development Tools

I work with C++ on the Playstation 3 at work, and have known C++ for going on 15 years now.

However, when I'm at home, I honestly prefer working with C# - It has its gotchas (i.e. the garbage collector), sure, but I think that C++ has more of them (memory leaks, pointers, etc etc etc) - and I feel more like I'm working on my PROJECT when I'm dealing with C# and less that I'm dealing with the language. For me, it's the right blend between performance and ease of use.  Naturally, I use Visual Studio as my environment.

Currently, I've been working with XNA but, were I aiming for PC-only, I'd probably be using SlimDX instead - it'd give me a bit more control over the DirectX environment than XNA does.

So, I guess, for me, the answers are:

1. C#
2. Visual Studio 2010
3. Visual Studio 2010 Professional
4. XNA (but I'd rather be working with SlimDX in many ways)
5. None, really - just help files and the XNA forums.

Obviously these aren't the answers for everyone, but they work great for me Smiley
Read October 30, 2011, 06:08:32 AM #2
monoRAIL

For my personal projects I still use Torque2D - although now it's mostly targeting iOS so I can actually make some money from my games.

I'm also using Unity more these days.
Read November 01, 2011, 11:38:05 AM #3
bugdoodle

There's been a big shift over the past couple of years to not only use iOS and Android, but also replace Flash with HTML5. So I've embraced Game Maker again as they just launched their HTML5 version. There's also a Studio version planned that will export your projects to iOS, Android.

I'm a game designer first, so anything I can do to minimize low-level coding is a plus, and GM does just that. Any issues with performance seem to be slowly disappearing since they hired a team of veteran developers and ported everything from Delphi to C++.
Read November 09, 2011, 03:28:58 AM #4
XYX

@bugdoodle
You should check out (if you're not dead against coding everything) Processing, it's Java code with lots of useful libraries and hardware support, it can export executables for Win/Mac/Linux and Android

Currently I'm working on a shmup using:
Eclipse IDE - for the coding
Processing - as the language
Minim - audio library for sound generation and processing
GLGraphics - OpenGL library for offscreen buffers and shader effects
Point2Line - 2d geom library will probably be used for movement and such

"human is the music, natural is the static..." -john updike
Read November 09, 2011, 01:42:27 PM #5
Metarex Master

Personally, I either use Fraxy or Adobe Flash in game designing.
Read November 10, 2011, 08:46:11 AM #6
Hornet600S

1. C++ almost exclusively (love it), a little bit of Objective-C (hate it, only if I have to on iPxxx devices), a little bit of Java (hate it, only if I have to on Android devices), ARM assembler (love it, but seldomly needed), LUA for scripting (can recommend it), 68K assembler (love it, only for classic Amiga), 6502/6510 assembler (love it, Atari VCS and C64 only, if I really wanna play  Wink ).

2. VC2008, BCC, GCC, VBCC / VASM (Amiga), ACME (6502)

3. VisualStudio 2008 Pro (for Windows and Amiga development), Borland C++ Builder 2006 Pro (some customer's applications are based on it, and I use it for quick and dirty UI apps, not bad but a bit old), XCode (latest version, since those Apple %&$&# more or less force you to update constantly to yet the next even more buggy XCode Tongue, debugger of latest version is only half functional), Eclipse (for Android), Relaunch64 (6502), antique UltraEdit for other stuff

4. OpenGL, OpenAL, OpenSL, DirectX, ODBC, LUA, but most libs I use are selfmade over the years (like my own string-, XML-, picture-, vector-, younameit- classes).

5. Hm, if I don't know something I use google. No specific tutorials. I remember reading NeHe's tutorials ages ago.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:07:20 AM by Hornet600S »

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Read November 26, 2011, 04:03:54 PM #7
hima

My favourite language is Ruby, but I also like C++ as well, so...
1.) Ruby, because it's dead easy to code and to read
2.) Ruby 1.9.1 Interpreter
3.) Notepad++ / Aptana Studio
4.) DXRuby
5.) I read Japanese tutorial so I doubt it'll be useful here Sad

And
1.) C++
2.) VC2008
3.) VC2008 Express
4.) DXLibrary - It's a Japanese DirectX interface library for C. It's popular among the doujinsoft creator in Japan.
5.) The site has tutorial. But it's in Japanese as well ^^;
Read December 16, 2011, 09:15:22 AM #8
SPIDER

1: Fraxy
2: Fraxy
3: Fraxy
4: Fraxy
5: lol
Read April 28, 2012, 12:03:28 PM #9
Tiao_Ferreira

I'm not a professional developer, but I enjoy FLASH, GAME MAKER, DARK BASIC and BLITZ BASIC.

Now, I'm studying BATARI, something like BASIC + ATARI, for to make atari games. Is very simple to learn.

"O melhor da escola é a merenda!" - Alf, o E.T.imoso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 18 queries.