Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ Programming advice for a newb

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read August 22, 2006, 05:26:19 PM #0
scuzzo84

Programming advice for a newb

So for many years I did not get into programming, mainly because nothing seemed to click with me and I wanted to be more on the sys admin side. Anyways I would always keep an eye out for a language that may click with me, and since at the same time I was interested in web dev I picked up php as my first lang along with SQL and made a nifty web app in 3-4 months. Anyways anything other than php doesnt really click except maybe python and anything similar to it.

So it comes down to that I cant find a language that has a I guess game library ( I guess you call it that) to go along with it such as SDL or opengl . I tried looking into LUA but the documentation for the SDL bindings didnt seem that good. I want to make a game that can easily be ported to other operating systems as well. I tried python in the past and what I didnt like was that I had to learn an entire language that is made for many reasons, game dev, web dev, basic gui apps and then I can dive into making a game, versus with PHP you just dive in! I dont really want to learn a language and have it cover all these areas where I wont need it and then finally be able to start making the game. So I guess I am stuck on what to do exactly. Someone just said just go with C and you will have to learn all that stuff but it will be handy. I was also told PHP and C have similar syntax and thats prolly good for me since I have more than the basics of PHP down.

Any tips/advice is welcome! I am really determined!
Read August 23, 2006, 10:42:31 AM #1
Neji

Re: Programming advice for a newb

Hi scuzzo84,

Quote from: scuzzo84
Anyways I would always keep an eye out for a language that may click with me

Maybe this language will click you : BLITZMAX

Quote from: scuzzo84
I want to make a game that can easily be ported to other operating systems as well.

BlitzMAx runs on 3 different platforms (OSX, Windows, Linux)

It has OOP capabilities, fast 2D functions and a thriving community !

you can program in OPenGL/DX with it and interface with other languages like C.

BM is really my prefered language and maybe it 'll *click* you the way it did to me Smiley

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 09:53:59 AM by Neji »
Read August 23, 2006, 01:38:33 PM #2
Pixel_Outlaw

I must second Blitzmax. Everything you need is there and if it isn't you can use dll. It takes a large anguage and adds all those nice graphic features.

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read August 24, 2006, 04:15:26 PM #3
Impossible

Anyways anything other than php doesnt really click except maybe python and anything similar to it.

So it comes down to that I cant find a language that has a I guess game library ( I guess you call it that) to go along with it such as SDL or opengl .

Huh?  If Python clicks with you use Python.  From what you're saying I assume you haven't heard of pygame, PyOgre or PyOpenGL.  PyGame is the Python SDL binding, PyOgre is the full Ogre 3D binding for Python (not much documentation though) and PyOpenGL is the Python binding for OpenGL.  You can use PyGame and PyOpenGL together, but I suggest you start with just PyGame, its more than enough to make a shmup.  Don't worry about learning everything about Python, you just have to learn the basics and Pygame and you can start making games. 

If you still don't have luck with Python, I suggest Processing. Its built on top of Java and designed for graphics and multimedia, very easy to get stuff going. Obviously many of the people here are Blitzmax fans but Blitzmax isn't free and you might not want to pay $80.00 if you not quite sure what sort of tool you want to use.  The 30 day trial might be enough time for you to evaluate and learn how to use the language but because you have limited experience it might not be.

Read August 24, 2006, 04:32:33 PM #4
the2bears

A lot of good suggestions.  You might even look at Flash, I've seen great games made with it and, at least traditionally, it's geared to "content creators" rather than programmers.  If you want web-based games that's your best bet.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read August 24, 2006, 05:09:28 PM #5
Matt McFarland

Because this thread seems to pop up alot (specially on many other forums) I have figured it would be a great idea to sticky it!!  Lots of great tips and advice.  My only advice is to pick something and stick with it!  Programming can be a wonderful feat, and it is something that takes a lot of time and effort, but in the end it is very rewarding!   First, make a pong game, then make a space invaders clone, and so on and so fourth.  It's best to start very small and work your way up.

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read August 25, 2006, 02:35:44 AM #6
relsoft

Freebasic
http://www.freebasic.net/

It has the speed of C and C++ with a BASIC syntax.  It's free and can use any(yep any) library supported by C(and C++) without any changes in the calls. That means Opengl, d3d, dx, SDL, Newton, etc.

Hello
Read August 27, 2006, 04:30:15 AM #7
countchocula

Is C or C++ very hard to learn? The most I did in high school was turing haha. Im kinda curious about making my own shmup. I was told flash is pretty simple to learn, are there any free flash.....maker.....editors?
Read September 26, 2006, 03:53:34 PM #8
Deux

I would definately suggest BlitzMax, it is an awesome language and is extremely fun to code in.
Read September 26, 2006, 05:14:46 PM #9
Pixel_Outlaw

teh blitxxorz ftw. Shocked
Well blitsmax is easy to pick up but there seems to be a LACK of information and tutorials. I'm still a n00b with it. Gun Ranger X was my first game made with it. I would also consider Game Maker 6.1 regestered.

I guess some options

C++: DEV-C++ free xompiler
Game Maker: 20 or 30 bucks to regester but does have a very function rich free version.
Blitzmax: 80 dollars ( use BLIDE once you get the default installer)
Python: Free

I think that's my knowledge, i havent gone far in C++ due to worthless examples same with python. I don't aout car and cat clases, I would like a more visual expearance like Game Maker of Blitzmax.

Read September 27, 2006, 04:42:26 PM #10
Deux

Well blitsmax is easy to pick up but there seems to be a LACK of information and tutorials

What are you trying to do ? Most techniques can easily be adapted from other languages to bmax.

I played your game btw, and I really like it, you seem to have the hang of bmax Smiley

Read September 27, 2006, 07:12:22 PM #11
Pixel_Outlaw

Hmmm well I think that the functions are really undocumented in some cases. I'm surprised that there seem to be little if any 3rd party sites that have tutorials. I REALLY hate to compare BlitzMax to Game maker but there are so many Game Maker help sites and so little Max sites.

Read September 27, 2006, 07:26:22 PM #12
Mattman

I would strongly suggest Game Maker 6.1 Registered. It's only 20$ and can go as far as you want it to. It may be an interpretor, but works very well. Also, there are many tuts and stuff out there.

PS. The only downfall of GM is the 3d compatibilty. But to get around that, use one of the many DLLs

Matt

I thought I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't really a thought... I thought
Read September 28, 2006, 01:16:33 PM #13
Deux

Hmmm well I think that the functions are really undocumented in some cases. I'm surprised that there seem to be little if any 3rd party sites that have tutorials. I REALLY hate to compare BlitzMax to Game maker but there are so many Game Maker help sites and so little Max sites.

BlitzMax is still relatively young since release, I am sure more sites will pop up issuing help. GM is pretty well established right now.

I have not had any problems on the blitzbasic forums when asking for help though.
Read September 28, 2006, 04:57:41 PM #14
Matt McFarland

The BMAX community is above par when it comes to coding communities and I've been able to get every question I've had answered. As far as documentation, the BMAX documentation is aweful, and needs revised badly!  I still, found BMAX fairly easy to learn, and the community tutorials out for it are amazing.

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read September 29, 2006, 12:13:08 PM #15
Deux

I have however taken a look at game maker recently, and with the 3d support it is starting to look more interstesting, and some of the examples/demos and games I have seen are looking really decent.

@Pixel, can you use straight GML to make a game in GM ? Or do you have to use the Drag and Drop interface too. ?
Read September 29, 2006, 02:23:09 PM #16
Pixel_Outlaw

No I used strait code. Using the drag and drop is worthless at a certin point. You can always try the free version and buy the full version if it has features you want or need.

Read September 29, 2006, 02:32:11 PM #17
Deux

Do you feel it is quicker to get stuff done in GM ? What prompted your move to bmax ?

I am not against using whatever tool I need to get a job done, wether it be bmax or gm. Would be nice though to hear your experiences.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 02:38:09 PM by Deux »
Read September 29, 2006, 03:26:09 PM #18
Mattman

The reason you would move on later is because you think you've mastered it Wink There's guys there that have programmed on GM for about 5 or more years. It's never ending of what you can do with it. Some people like Bmax's layout better. It's mostly personal opinion to it Wink I would strongly suggest GM again though, because of it's Online abilities (and ease, once you get into it more), and it had some great functions. BMax's advantage is it's 3D stuff, but GM i gaining on that quickly Wink

Have fun and g/l Smiley

Matt

I thought I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't really a thought... I thought
Read September 29, 2006, 03:51:32 PM #19
Deux

bmax's 3d capabilities ? There are none so far, bar OpenGL calls, and 3rd party modules.  You can also get online/multiplayer in your games.

BlitzMax is awesome, and I have always been able to knock things up relatively quickly and gracefully. I dont think I would ever give up on bmax Smiley But I am always keeping my eyes open for other tools too. I mean why not ? And from some demos I have downloaded recently GM seems quite interesting indeed.

Is there speed issues with GM at all ?

Read September 29, 2006, 04:18:31 PM #20
Pixel_Outlaw

Yes, gam does alot of unnecessary processing. It has to do this because knewbs don't need to create classes, you simply make objects that have vars by default. All objects have shared variables and processes that get attention wiether you use them or not. For what it does it's considerably fast, depending on the code, the fframerate drops after about 300 simple objects. GM has ALOT of wonderfull functions though especially in graphics manipulation and collision,

Read September 29, 2006, 06:36:28 PM #21
Mattman

You'll see some/alot of the abilities in my Space Clowns game once it's done Wink

Matt

Read July 30, 2007, 10:58:42 PM #22
plounted

i hate programming.
but ive found a language that is fairly simple and very versatile, that being fenix.

its geared towards game development, and im in the process(slowly) of constructing a game.

i recommend it.
Read December 19, 2007, 02:32:59 PM #23
Deceth

If you're just getting started I'd recommend sticking to something Object Oriented like Java.

I'm currently developing my first multiplayer game. Please try it out and leave me some feedback. IT'S FREE!
BattleCity Classic - Build, defend and attack cities in an endless quest for control and dominance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 18 queries.